Empirical Mode Decomposition in ECG Signal De-noising
Empirical Mode Decomposition (EMD) is an acknowledged procedure which has been widely used for non-stationary and nonlinear signal processing. The main idea of the EMD method is to decompose the processed signal into components without using any basis functions. This is a data driven representation and provides intrinsic mode functions (IMFs) as components. These are obtained through a so-called sifting process. This study presents an EMD decomposition-based filtering procedure applied to ECG signals (from specific databases), the results are evaluated through signal to noise ratio (SNR) and mean square error (MSE). The obtained results are compared with discrete wavelet transform based filtering results.
KeywordsEmpirical mode decomposition Signal processing Denoising
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Rilling, G., Flandrin, P., Gonalves, P.: On empirical mode decomposition and its algorithms. In: IEEE-EURASIP Workshop on Nonlinear Signal and Image Processing NSIP-03, Grado (I), June 2003Google Scholar
- 3.Rilling, G., Flandrin, P., Gonalves, P., Lilly, J.M.: Bivariate empirical mode decomposition. Sig. Proc. Lett. (submitted)Google Scholar
- 5.Deering, R., Kaiser, J.F.: The use of a masking signal to improve empirical mode decomposition. In: ICASSP (2005). Smith, J., Jones, M. Jr., Houghton, L., et al.: Future of health insurance. N. Engl. J. Med. 965, 325–329 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Wu, Z., Huang, N. E.: A study of the characteristics of white noise using the empirical mode decomposition method. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A. 460(2046), 1597–1611 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Flandrin, P., Goncalves, P., Rilling, G.: Detrending and denoising with empirical mode decomposition. In: Proceedings of XII EUSIPCO 2004, Vienna, Austria, Sept 2004Google Scholar
- 8.Tang, G., Qin, A.: ECG denoising based on empirical mode decomposition. In: 9th International Conference for Young Computer Scientists, pp. 903–906 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Tang, G., Qin, A.: ECG de-noising based on empirical mode decomposition. In: 9th International Conference for Young Computer Scientists, pp. 903–906, Feb 2008Google Scholar