Wind Turbines Integration into Power Systems: Advanced Control Strategy for Harmonics Mitigation
When considering the topic of grid integration, it is recognized that wind farms can bring about negative power quality impacts at the connection point. A lot of attention has been given to this type of generation system, aiming at achieving the required level of compatibility between the wind turbine and the AC grid. Amongst the various existing power quality phenomena, harmonic distortion emerges as a relevant challenge once power electronics converters that currently exist on wind energy conversion systems have a direct effect upon the Voltage Harmonic Total Distortion (THD). The search for solutions that reduce the harmonic current injection emerge as an issue that needs ample consideration. In this context, this chapter is focused on two main points directed to full converter wind turbines (type IV). The first exploits an analysis and an experimental validation of the physical factors responsible for harmonic current emissions. The second part contemplates an advanced control strategy aimed at reducing the level of harmonic currents.
The authors are grateful to CAPES, FAPEMIG (Project: TEC APQ 2381-13) and FAPDF (Project: 193.001.505/2017) for the financial support for this research.
- 1.International Electrotechnical Commission: IEC 61400-21—wind turbines Part 21: (2008) Measurement and assessment of power quality characteristics of grid connected wind turbinesGoogle Scholar
- 3.Rosentino AJP, Gondim IN, Reis A, Oliveira JC (2016) A critical analysis of the harmonic distortion procedure applied to wind farm connection. In: 17th international conference on harmonics and quality of power (ICHQP). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICHQP.2016.7783349
- 10.Cantarellas AM, Sintamarean C, Rakhshani E, Rodriguez P, Teodorescu R (2013) Control of an active filter based three-level grid connected converter for wind turbine application. Renew Energy Power Qual J 1:1–6Google Scholar
- 12.Holmes DG, Lipo TA (2003) Pulse width modulation for power converters—principles and practice. WileyGoogle Scholar
- 14.Rodriguez P, Luna A, Munoz-Aguilar RS, Etxeberria-Otadui I, Teodorescu R, Blaabjerg F (2012) A stationary reference frame grid synchronization system for three-phase grid-connected power converters under adverse grid conditions. IEEE Trans Power Electron. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2159242CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Teodorescu R, Liserre M, Rodriguez P (2011) Grid converters for photovoltaic and wind power systems. WileyGoogle Scholar
- 19.Brazilian National Grid Operator (Operador Nacional do Sistema ONS): (2010) Brazilian transmission system grid code (Procedimentos de Rede—Submódulo 2.8)Google Scholar