Investigation on the Performance of Copper-Coated 6061 Aluminium Alloy Electrode in Electric Discharge Machining
Electric Discharge Machining (EDM) is one of the most popular nontraditional machining processes applied for machining very hard conductive materials with desired shape, size and dimensional accuracy. In this paper, copper-coated 6061 aluminium alloy is applied as EDM electrode instead of copper. Electrodeposition, simple and economical process, was used for preparation of copper coating on 6061 Aluminium alloy. The method of anodization was applied in order to get a strong adhesive copper coating on aluminium alloy substrate. Ammonium bi-fluoride (NH4F·HF), a fluorine-containing inorganic substance was added to the anodizing solution to increase the porosity of aluminium alloy surface. The copper-coated surface was characterized with SEM/EDS and XRD. Lower electrode wear, surface roughness and higher MRR were found for copper-coated 6061 Aluminium alloy EDM electrode compare to uncoated 6061 Aluminium alloy electrode.
KeywordsAluminium alloy Electrodeposition Anodizing SEM EDS EDM
The authors are grateful and acknowledge the support and cooperation of Centre of Excellence, IIEST, Shibpur, Howrah and Heritage Institute of Technology, Kolkata.
- 8.Bob, Y.: Aluminum—the other conductor. www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@electrical/…/1143077762513.pdf. Accessed 02 Apr 2018
- 9.Kern, R.: TechTips: sinker electrode material selection. EDM Today. Available online at: www.EDMtodayMagazine.com (2008). Accessed 02 Apr 2018
- 10.Isa, N.N.C., Mohd, Y., Zaki. M.H.M., Mohamad, S.A.S.: Characterization of copper coating electrodeposited on stainless steel substrate. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 12, 6010–6021 (2017)Google Scholar
- 11.Spooner, R.C., Seraphim, D.P.: Phosphoric acid anodizing of aluminum and its application to electroplating. Trans. Inst. Met. Finish. 3129–3145 (1954)Google Scholar
- 13.Devyatkina, T.I., Yarovaya, E.I., Rogozhin, V.V., Markova, T.V., Mikhalenko, M.G.: A combined electrolyte for anodizing and copper plating of aluminum and its alloys. Russ. J. Appl. Chem. 87, 1620–1625 (2014)Google Scholar