Effect of Ultrasonic Treatment on Microstructure and Properties of Aluminum Alloy Rod Prepared by Continuous Casting and Rolling
The Al–0.78Mg–0.69Si–0.11Ce–0.06La aluminum alloy rod was prepared by ultrasonic-assisted continuous casting and rolling process, and the effects of ultrasonic treatment on the microstructure, electrical conductivity, and tensile properties of the continuous casting billet and the continuous casting and rolling rod were investigated. The results showed that ultrasonic treatment could purify, homogenize, and refine the aluminum alloy liquid, eliminate the coarse dendrite of continuous casting billet, restrain the element segregation, and significantly improve the strength, plasticity, and conductivity of the aluminum alloy rod. When the ultrasonic frequency was 20 kHz and the power was 300 W, the tensile strength, elongation, and electrical conductivity of the aluminum alloy rod were 214.5 MPa, 9.6%, and 55.9% IACS, respectively. Compared with the continuous casting and rolling aluminum alloy rod without ultrasonic assistance, the tensile strength, elongation, and conductivity were increased by 13.6, 41.2, and 2.4%, respectively.
KeywordsAl–Mg–Si alloy Rare earth Continuous casting and rolling Ultrasonic treatment
The authors would like to acknowledge the financial support of the Guangdong Academy of Sciences (2017GDASCX-0117, 2018GDASCX-0117), Guangdong Science and Technology Department (2017A070701029), and Qingyuan Municipal Bureau of Science and Technology (201601).
- 1.C. Huang, The application and development of aluminium and aluminium alloy for electrical purpose in cable field. Electr. Wire Cable 2, 10–15 (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.B. Liu, Q. Zheng, P. Dang et al., Development and applications of aluminium alloy in overhead lines. Electr. Wire Cable 4, 10–15 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Z. Li, C. Li, Y. Feng, Energy-saving effect analysis of energy-saving wire in transmission line. Electr. Power. Sci. Eng. 32(10), 28–33 (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.G. Ding, Z. Sun, Q. Zhang et al., Analysis on application of energy-saving conductors in transmission lines. Power Syst. Technol. 36(8), 24–30 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.J. Hu, T. Zhou, Z. Li et al., Production status and development prospects of Al–Mg–Si alloy conductor. Light Alloy Fabr. Technol. 46(1), 5–8 (2018)Google Scholar
- 6.L. Zhang, X. Zhang, Effect of ultrasonic power on grain refinement in semi-continuous casting of 7050 aluminum alloy. Mater. Mech. Eng. 33(9), 54–57 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.H. Hu, K. Chen, L. Huang et al., Effect of ultrasonic melt treatment on microstructure and mechanical properties of Al-Zn-Mg-Cu alloy. Heat Treat. Metals 30(5), 43–46 (2005)Google Scholar