Design and Implementation of a Novel SDN-Based Architecture for Wi-Fi Networks
Wi-Fi technologies have attracted great attention due to the low cost of construction and maintenance. However, the explosive growth of mobile applications bring new challenges in terms of difficult service quality requirement, such as ultra bandwidth, seamless mobility and high reliability. In this paper, we propose an efficient SDN-based architecture for Wi-Fi networks, which can exploit MPTCP to enable simultaneously transmission for a specific application, and achieve fine-grade path assignment for a single subflow. To evaluate our design, we build a real-world testbed that consists of commodity AP devices, the experimental results demonstrate that our system can significantly improve the wireless throughput and reduce handover delay at the same time.
KeywordsSoftware-Defined Networking Wi-Fi Multipath TCP Subflows
This work was supported in part by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 61672486), subtask of the Chinese National Key Project on New Generation Broadband Wireless Mobile Communication Networks (No. 2017ZX03001019-004), and Anhui Provincial Natural Science Foundation (No. 1608085MF126).
- 3.Vestin, J., Dely, P., Kassler, A., Bayer, N., Einsiedler, H., Peylo, C.: CloudMAC: towards software defined WLANs. In: Proceedings of the 18th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, Istanbul, Turkey, 22–26 August 2012Google Scholar
- 4.Suresh, L., Schulz-Zander, J., Merz, R., Feldmann, A., Vazao, T.: Towards programmable enterprise WLANs with Odin. In: Proceedings of the First Workshop on Hot Topics in Software Defined Networks, Helsinki, Finland, 13 August 2012Google Scholar
- 6.Stanley, D., Calhoun, P., Montemurro, M.: Control and provisioning of wireless access points (CAPWAP) protocol specification (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.O.D. Team, Openwrt wireless freedom (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.O. VSWITCH, Open vswitch (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.MPTCP v0.92 socket api. https://github.com/hoang-tranviet/mptcp/tree/mptcp_v0.92_socket_api. Accessed 9 May 2018
- 11.Song, H.: Protocol-oblivious forwarding: unleash the power of SDN through a future-proof forwarding plane. In: Proceedings of the Second ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Hot Topics in Software Defined Networking, Hong Kong, China, 16 August 2013Google Scholar
- 12.Tan, X., Zou, S., Guo, H., Tian, Y.: POFOX: towards controlling the protocol oblivious forwarding network. In: Park, J., Yi, G., Jeong, Y.S., Shen, H. (eds.) Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computing and Ubiquitous Services. LNEE, vol. 368, pp. 21–30. Springer, Singapore (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-0068-3_3CrossRefGoogle Scholar