Design and Development of an Autonomous Underwater Vehicle for Underwater Target Navigation Mission Module
The Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUV) industry is growing dramatically with the increase in the reliability and technical abilities of these vehicles. The vehicles require autonomous guidance and control system in order to perform underwater tasks. The Target Navigation Mission Module (TNMM) permits the vehicle to follow preprogrammed trajectories wherever and whenever required. Without this module, the vehicle will not be able to achieve the desired mission. In this work, the Mission module were able to identify the task, detect the target, coordinate the state of AUV (attain desired height and yaw angle) and makes decision on path based on mission time elapsed. The Target Navigation Mission Module used the Kalman Filter algorithm to estimates the state of a system during the navigation. The results shows a reliable reading obtain by the AUV. Therefore, better decision on motion direction were achieved. The AUV was able to navigate underwater and track underwater object without the need of operator assistance.
KeywordsAutonomous Underwater Vehicles Navigation Kalman Filter
The authors are grateful for the financial support from Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia’s TIER 1 Grant Scheme (U853).
- 1.Gonzalez, L.A.: Design, modelling and control of an autonomous underwater vehicle. In: Bachelor of Engineering Honours Thesis (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Drtil, M.: Electronic and Sensor Design of an Autonomous Underwater Vehicle. Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology of University of Applied Science Koblenz Thesis (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Hegrenæs, Ø.: Autonomous navigation for underwater vehicles. Ph.D. Dissertation, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Von Alt, C.: Autonomous underwater vehicles. In: Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Autonomous Underwater Lagrangian Platforms and Sensors Workshop (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Blidberg, D.R.: The Development of Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV). Autonomous Undersea System Institute, Lee, NH (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Aras, M.S.M., Kasdirin, H.A., Jamaluddin, M.H., Basar, M.F.: Design and Development of an Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV-FKEUTeM). Fakulti Kejuruteraan Elektrik, UTEM (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Burkardt, M., et al.: Cornell University Autonomous Underwater Vehicle: Design and Implementation of the Ragnarok AUV. Cornell University Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (2013)Google Scholar