Effects of Transformer’s Turn Ratio Mismatch Towards the Performance of Dual Active Bridge Converter
This paper presents the study of the effect of transformer’s turn ratio mismatch on the performance of dual active bridge (DAB) converter. DAB converter was part of the components of a solid state transformer (SST) where it provides galvanic isolation as well as interface systems with different voltage level. In this study, a DAB circuit was developed and the performance was examined in both MATLAB Simulation and hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) simulation. The DAB system was examined under five different transformer ratio. The behavior of the DAB shows a comparable results under both test platform. The real-time performance of DAB converter has shown an efficiency up to 95.91%.
KeywordsDual active bridge converter Transformer ratio Hardware-in-the-loop MATLAB simulink
This work is supported by Faculty of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, University Malaysia Pahang, under research grant RDU1703129.
- 1.Kashani, M.G., Mobarrez, M., Bhattacharya, S.: Variable interleaving technique for photovoltaic cascaded DC-DC converters. In: IECON Proceedings of Industrial Electronics Conference, pp. 5612–5617. Dallas, USA (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Ye, Qing, Mo, Ran, Li, Hui: Multiple resonances mitigation of paralleled inverters in a solid-state transformer (SST) enabled AC microgrid. IEEE Trans. Smart Grid 3053, 1 (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Ashok, S.: Solid state transformer (SST) concepts, modeling, applications, advantages & challenges. In: Power Electronics for Grid Connected Renewable Energy System (PEGCRES), pp. 1–137. Virginia, USA (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.McMurray, W.: Power converter circuits having a high-frequency link. U.S. Patent 3517300, June 23 (1970)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhao, T., Yang, L., Wang, J., Huang, A.Q.: 270 kVA solid state transformer based on 10 kV SiC power devices. In: IEEE Electric Ship Technologies Symposium, ESTS 2007, pp. 145–49 (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Chou, H.M.: Multiport DC-DC power converter for renewable energy application. Master Thesis. Texas A&M University (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Tao, H., Kotsopoulos, A., Duarte, J.L., Hendrix, M.A.M: Triple- Half -Bridge Bidirectional Converter Controlled by Phase Shift and PWM. Proc. IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 1256–12637. Dallas, USA (2006)Google Scholar