- 277 Downloads
The book concludes with exploring the potential of gay rap music in redefining the black identity, generating political awareness, and empowering youths. It first suggests that gay rap can help the black community face its own denial of individuality and agency, and then proceeds to discuss how in gaining more audiences, gay rap can destabilise hegemonic discourses that co-opt cultural phenomena, as seen in the music industry, by giving niche markets to non-heterosexual artists. Lastly, it discusses the potential of gay rap as educational texts for youth empowerment, especially for young black gays and lesbians since it is able to provide the missing link between representation and selfhood in the pursuit of social acceptance and self-actualisation.
KeywordsBlack Gay gayGay Black Church homosexualityHomosexuality Straight Lead
- Dimitriadis, Greg. Performing Identity/Performing Culture: Hip-Hop as Text, Pedagogy, and Lived Practice. New York: Peter Lang, 2001.Google Scholar
- Freud, Sigmund. New Introductory Lectures on Psycho-Analysis. New York: W. W. Norton, 1990.Google Scholar
- ———. “The Psychogenesis of a Case of Homosexuality in a Woman.” In Sexuality and the Psychology of Love, by P. Rieff (ed.). New York: Collier, 1920.Google Scholar
- Levine, Nick. “Chuck D: ‘Ocean’s Sexuality Statement Is No Hip-Hop First’.” In NME (July 7, 2012). From https://www.nme.com/news/music/frank-ocean-118-1269812#YGim0isJJ3rvgdLI.99. Retrieved 17/06/2014.
- Marable, Manning. Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention. New York: Penguin Books, 2011.Google Scholar
- Nietzsche, Friedrich. The Antichrist (Translated from the German with an Introduction by H. L. Mencken). New York: Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., 1918.Google Scholar
- Pough, Gwendolyn D. Check It While I Wreck It: Black Womanhood, Hip-Hop Culture, and the Public Sphere. Boston: Northeastern University Press, 2004.Google Scholar
- Smith, David L. “The Black Arts Movement and Its Critics.” American Literary History, Vol. 3, No. 1 (Spring, 1991): pp. 93–110.Google Scholar