Radiometric Cross-Calibration Between the Thermal Infrared Data of MODIS and Tiangong-2 WIS for Monitoring Sea Surface Temperature
Following the radiometric cross-calibration procedures between the Tiangong-1 hyperspectral imaging spectrometer and the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectrometer (MODIS) infrared bands, the thermal infrared bands of Wide-band Imaging Spectrometer (WIS) on the Tiangong-2 space station are calibrated and further used to monitor the Sea Surface Temperature (SST). Quasi-simultaneous MODIS thermal infrared images acquired in winter and spring of 2017 and 2018 are collected as the calibration reference. A linear radiance correction equation between the two data sets of MODIS and WIS is established, and the Tiangong-2 WIS thermal infrared data is calibrated by the radiance correction equation. The calibrated WIS thermal infrared data is further used to retrieve the SST of coastal waters. The results show that the thermal infrared bands of Tiangong-2 WIS are highly correlated to the 32nd band of MODIS. Credited to the high spatial resolution of WIS thermal infrared images, the SST anomalies caused by natural or human disturbance are clearly shown, e.g., the warming plume of cooling water from coastal power plant, the apparent temperature of tidal flat and the underwater tidal ridges.
KeywordsTiangong-2 Thermal infrared WIS MODIS Cross-calibration SST
This work is supported by Chinese Academy of Sciences key instrument project (No. YJKYYQ20170048), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No.41676171), and the Qingdao National Laboratory for Marine Science and Technology of China (No.2016ASKJ02). Thanks to China Manned Space Engineering for providing space science and application data products of Tiangong-2.
- 1.Steissberg, T.E., Hook, S.J., Schladow, G.: High-spatial-resolution thermal infrared satellite images for lake studies. AGU. H32D-01 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, Q.L., Tang, J.W., Wang, X.N.: Review on the calibration for ocean color sensing. Ocean Technol. 17(3), 13–26 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhang, Y., Gu, X.F., Yu, T., Zhang, X.Y., Qi, R.L., Li, X.W.: Radiometric cross-calibration of CBERS-02 IRMSS thermal channel. J. Infrared Milimeter Waves 25(4), 261–266 (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Pan, D.L., He, X.Q., Zhu, Q.K.: On orbit radiometric cross calibration of HY-1A COCTS. Chinese Sci. Bull. 49(21), 2239–2244 (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Xing, Q.G., Lou, M.J., Zhang, J.X., Li, X.Z., Ning, J.C., Gao, Z.Q.: Radiometric cross-calibration of Tiangong-1 and MODIS infrared bands and applications in monitoring coastal sea surface temperature. J. Remote Sens. 18(Sup), 68–73 (2014)Google Scholar
- 16.Li, X., Gu, X., Min X., Yu, T., Fu, Q., Zhang, Y., Li, X.: Radiometric cross-calibration of the CBERS-02 CCD camera with the TERRA MODIS. Science in China Ser. E Inf. Sci. 35(S I), 41–58 (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Xu, L., Ma, L., Hu, J., Tang, L.: Cross-calibration of HJ-1B/CCD1 against Terra/MODIS. Remote Sens. Inf. 2, 26–31 (2011)Google Scholar
- 19.Li, N., Sun, F.Q., Zhang, C.Y., Shang, S.L., Hong, H.S.: A primary validation of remote AVHRR SST in Taiwan Strait and its vicinity. J. Xiamen Univ. (Nat. Sci.) 45(3), 383–387 (2006)Google Scholar
- 20.Sakuno, Y., Tsushima, K., Matsunaga, T.: Validation of ASTER water surface temperature algorithm using MODIS SST data. Proc. Conf. Remote Sens. Soc. Jpn 39, 241–242 (2005)Google Scholar
- 21.Xing, Q., Chen, C., Shi, P., Yang, J.: Atmospheric correction of Landsat data for the retrieval of sea surface temperature in coastal waters. Acta Oceanol. Sin. 25(3), 25–34 (2006)Google Scholar