Periodic Material-Based Three-Dimensional (3D) Seismic Base Isolators for Small Modular Reactors
The concept of frequency band gaps in periodic materials has inspired the development of a new type of seismic base isolation system known as the periodic foundation. This paper focuses on the experimental validation of the 3D periodic foundation supporting a small modular reactor building. A large-scale 3D periodic foundation with a small modular reactor (SMR) building model was tested on a shake table using various input waves. The frequency band gaps of the test specimen were able to filter out the damaging frequency content of the input seismic waves. The test results motivate the application of periodic foundations for safer nuclear structures in seismic-prone regions.
The authors acknowledge the support of the US Department of Energy NEUP Program (Proj. No. CFA-14-6446). The opinions and conclusions expressed or implied in the paper are those of the authors. They are not necessarily those of the supporting agency.
- Inoue, K., Fushimi, M., Satoshi Moro, Morishita, M., Kitamura, S., & Fujita, T. (2004). Development of three-dimensional seismic isolation system for next generation nuclear power plant. In 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.Google Scholar
- Krawinkler, H., Moncarz, P. D. (1982). Similitude requirements for dynamic models. ACI Special Publication, 73.Google Scholar
- Naeim, F., Kelly, J. M. (1999). Design of seismic isolated structures: From theory to practice. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- PEER ground motion database. (2016). http://ngawest2.berkeley.edu/.
- Ryan, K. L., Soroushian, S., Maragakis, E. M., Sato, E., Sasaki, T., & Okazaki, T. (2016). Seismic simulation of an integrated ceiling-partition wall-piping system at e-defense. I: Three-dimensional structural response and base isolation. Journal of Structural Engineering, 142(2), 04015130.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Suhara, J., Matsumoto, R., Oguri, S., Okada, Y., Inoue, K., & Takahashi, K. (2005). Research on 3-D base isolation system applied to new power reactor 3-D seismic isolation device with rolling seal type air spring: Part 2. In 18th International Conference on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology (SMiRT 18) (pp. 3381–3391), Beijing, China: SMiRT18.Google Scholar
- Suhara, J., Tamura, T., Okada, Y., & Umeki, K. (2002). Development of three dimensional seismic isolation device with laminated rubber bearing and rolling seal type air spring. In ASME 2002 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (pp. 43–48), Vancouver, BC, Canada. American Society of Mechanical Engineer.Google Scholar
- Takahashi, O., Aida, H., Suhara, J., Matsumoto, R., Tsuyuki, Y., & Fujita, T. (2008). Construction of civil building using three dimensional seismic isolation system: Part 1, design of building using three dimensional seismic isolation system. In The 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.Google Scholar