An Ontology Based Earthquake Recommendation System
According to geographical statistics, 54% of the land in India is vulnerable to earthquakes, and several populous regions fall under Zone 4 or 5 in levels of seismicity. It is believed that a comprehensive earthquake recommendation system will significantly reduce the number of emergency services that are dispensed when disaster strikes and will also effectively minimize casualties. Various techniques have been employed to successively create such a recommendation system which provides efficiency in managing the dispensing of the emergency services. The paper focuses on determining the immediate course of action that should be taken during emergencies like earthquake to mitigate the damages to life and property using Ontology supported rule-based reasoning and case-based reasoning, i.e. the actions are determined using similar cases from the past, if any, and validated through existing rules and experience.
KeywordsEarthquake Earthquake recommendation system Ontology Rule-based reasoning Case-based reasoning
This research was partially supported by Defense Research and Development Organization. The author Dr. Sarika Jain is the principle investigator and the author Ms Sonia Mehla is Junior Research Fellow in this sponsored research project. Insight and expertise was also provided by other staff of the project that greatly assisted the research. We thank the members of the first project review committee meeting whose discussions initiated this part of the project.
- 1.Shedlock, K.M., Pakiser, L.C.: Earthquakes information. https://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/earthq1/earthqkgip.html
- 2.Japan Meteorological Agency. http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/indexe.html
- 7.Aktas, M.S., Pierce, M., Fox, G.C.: A web based conversational case-based recommender system for ontology aided metadata discovery. In: Fifth IEEE/ACM International Workshop on Grid Computing, pp. 69–75(2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Jain, S.: Intelligent decision support for unconventional emergencies. In: Valencia-García, R., Paredes-Valverde, M.A., Salas-Zárate, M., Alor-Hernández, G. (eds.) Exploring Intelligent Decision Support Systems. SCI, vol. 764, pp. 199–219. Springer, Cham (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-74002-7_10CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Mishra, S., Jain, S.: A study of various approaches and tools on ontology. In: IEEE Conference CICT in ABES College of Engineering, pp. 57–61 (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Zia, S.S., Akhtar, P., Mala, I., Memon, A.R.: Clinical Decision Support System: A Hybrid Reasoning ApproachGoogle Scholar