Designing Surgical Education Programs
Designing new residencies, fellowships, CME programs, or reentry programs can initially appear an overwhelming task, but identifying its major points makes this a manageable and worthwhile endeavor. In this chapter we explore surgical program design from the perspective of the ACGME General Surgery Residency Program. This framework can then be applied broadly to any surgical education program. Aspects considered in this chapter include choosing and developing faculty and administration; choosing the trainees; developing curriculum that is comprehensive in its approach to technical skills, medical knowledge, and nontechnical skills; and finally program evaluation and improvement.
KeywordsCurriculum design Resources Faculty development Domains of surgical performance Educational strategies Assessment Program evaluation
- 1.AAMC Physician Workforce Report 2015 2015 [cited 2017 June 16]. Available from: http://www.aamc.org.
- 3.ACGME Program Requirements for Graduate Medical Education in General Surgery 2017–2018 2017 [cited 2017 June 16]. Available from: http://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/440_general_surgery_2017-07-01.pdf?ver=2017-05-25-084853-043.
- 4.Curriculum outline for general surgery 2017–2018 2017 [cited 2017 June 16]. Available from: http://absurgery.org/xfer/curriculumoutline2017-18_book.pdf.
- 7.Kelly, A. V. (1977). The curriculum: Theory and practice. London: Harper and Row 202 p. p.Google Scholar
- 8.Adams, K. L., Adams, D. E., & NetLibrary Inc. (2003). Urban education a reference handbook. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO Available from: http://www.netlibrary.com/urlapi.asp?action=summary&v=1&bookid=101147.Google Scholar
- 9.Smith, M. K. (2000). Curriculum theory and practice’ the encyclopedia of informal education 1996. [Available from: www.infed.org/biblio/b-curric.htm.
- 10.Kern, D. E. T. P., Howard, D. M., & Bass, E. B. (1998). Curriculum development for medical education: A six-step approach. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press.Google Scholar
- 11.SCORE Portal 2017 [Available from: https://www.surgicalcore.org.
- 18.Fundamentals of laparoscopic surgery 2016 [cited 2017 June 16]. Available from: https://www.flsprogram.org.
- 19.Fundamentals of endoscopic surgery 2016 [cited 2017 June 16].Google Scholar
- 20.ACS/ASE medical student simulation-based surgical skills curriculum 2016 2016 [cited 2017 June 16]. Available from: https://www.facs.org/education/program/simulation-based.
- 21.ACS/APDS surgery resident skills curriculum 2017 [cited 2017 June 16]. Available from: https://www.facs.org/education/program/resident-skills.
- 22.VandeKieft, G. K. (2001). Breaking bad news. American Family Physician, 64(12), 1975–1978.Google Scholar
- 26.Hidden curriculum 2014 [cited 2017 June 16]. Available from: http://edglossary.org/hidden-curriculum/.
- 31.van der Vleuten, C. P., Schuwirth. L. W., Driessen, E. W., Govaerts, M. J., Heeneman, S. (2014). 12 tips for programmatic assessment. Medical Teacher 1–6.Google Scholar