Effect of Mg Concentration on the Structural, Morphological and Optical Properties of Ternary ZnMgO Nanocrystalline Thin Films
A technological challenge is to develop a ternary semiconductor ZnMgO thin film by controlling the concentration of Mg in aqueous medium that allows us to tune the band gap energy between 3.35 and 3.55 eV. In this paper, ZnMgxO (x = 0.00263, 0.00525 and 0.01313 M) films were deposited on zinc substrate containing Na3C6H5O7 × 2H2O, MgCl2 × 6H2O and 30% H2O2 in 40 ml of distilled water. The electrodeposition technique is used to develop the film. The structural, morphological, compositional analysis and optical properties of different concentration of developed ZnMgO thin films were studied by XRD, SEM, EDS, UV–Vis and PL. The diffraction peak observed at 2θ ≃ 36° with preferred plane indicates the crystalline nature of ZnMgO film. Grain size has been calculated by using Scherrer formula. A SEM photograph shows that grains are uniform and densely distributed over the surface. Compositional analysis reveals the presence of Zn, Mg and O. With increase in Mg concentration, the optical energy band gap of ZnMgO films varied from 3.42 to 3.52 eV and photoluminescence emission of ZnMgO film were also observed.
KeywordsConcentration Characterization Optical Structural Thin films ZnMgO
Authors are very much thankful to fund provided by Ministry of HRD, Government of India. We are also thankful to Central facilities of Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi, for different analyses.
- 1.Hsin Chiang You. Indium Doping Concentration Effects in the Fabrication of Zinc-Oxide Thin-Film Transistors. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 2013; 8: 9773–9784.Google Scholar
- 7.Kang TD, Hosun L, Won P, Chul YG, J. Korean Phys. Soc 2004; 44:129–132.Google Scholar
- 8.Gowrishankar S, Balakrishnan L, Gopalakrishnann N. Band gap engineering in Zn (1- x) Cd x O and Zn (1- x) Mg x O thin films by RF sputtering. Ceramics International2014; 40: 2135–2142.Google Scholar
- 11.Zhang X, Li XM, Chen TL, Bian JM, Zhang CY. Structural and optical properties of Zn1-xMgxO thin films deposited by ultra sonic spray pyrolysis. Thin Solid Films 2005; 492: 248–252.Google Scholar
- 12.Maemoto T, Ichiba N, Ishii H, Sasa S, Inoue M. Structural and optical properties of ZnMgO thin films grown by pulsed laser deposition using ZnO-MgO multiple target. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 2007; 59: 670–673.Google Scholar
- 16.Cullity BD. Elements of x-ray diffraction. USA: Addison-wesley Reading, 1972.Google Scholar
- 18.Sivaraman T, Nagarethinam VS, Balu AR. CdS thin films fabricated by a simplified spray technique from different substrate temperatures-Structural, morphological, optical and electrical analysis. Res. J.Mater. Sci. 2014; 2: 6.Google Scholar