Sustainability Reporting: Case of a University in Beijing
This chapter will present research on the sustainability reporting of a local university in Beijing, Capital University of Economics and Business (CUEB), using the sustainability reporting guidelines of the Global Reporting Initiative. The sustainability reporting guidelines can be used not only by enterprises but also nonprofit organizations, such as government agencies, universities, and others. This chapter discusses how to use the sustainability reporting guidelines to develop sustainability reporting for a local Beijing university. The conclusion is drawn that five parts can be included in the sustainability reporting for a local Beijing university, on the following topics: (1) vision and strategy, (2) introduction to the organization, (3) organizational structure, (4) impact of the local university on the economy, society, and the community, and (5) performance. In the report, one also needs to establish the difference between a so-called national and a local university and the differences with respect to them in terms of developing sustainability reporting. The chapter will also discuss measuring the performance of a local university, which is an important issue.
KeywordsSustainability reporting Local Beijing university Global Reporting Initiative Social responsibility Sustainability development
- Farneti, Federica and Guthrie, James and Siboni, Benedetta, Sustainability Reporting in Italian Local Governments: What They do not Report. SOCIAL ACCOUNTING AND PUBLIC MANAGEMENT, S.P. Osborne and A. Ball, eds., pp. 192–202, 2010Google Scholar
- Farneti, Federica and Siboni, Benedetta, An Analysis of the Italian Governmental Guidelines and of the Local Governments’ Practices for Social Reports. Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 101–125, 2011Google Scholar
- Farneti, Federica and Guthrie, James, Sustainability Reporting in Australian Public Sector Organisations: What and How They Report. Presented to the International Workshop on Social Audit, Social Accounting and Accountability, Charles University of Prague, 15–16 May 2008, Prague, Czech Republic.Google Scholar
- Guthrie, James and Farneti, Federica, GRI Sustainability Reporting by Australian Public Sector Organizations. Public Money & Management, Vol. 28, Issue 6, pp. 361–366, December 2008.Google Scholar
- Guthrie, James and Dumay, John and Farneti, Federica, GRI Sustainability Reporting Guidelines for Public and Third Sector Organizations. Public Management Review, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp 2–19, July 2010.Google Scholar