Stabilization and Control of Magnetic Levitation System Using 2-Degree-of-Freedom PID Controller
The magnetic levitation (maglev) system has become a very efficient technology in the rapid mass transportation system due to its frictionless motion. It is an open-loop unstable system, so it requires a controller implementation for its stabilization and position-tracking. Since it is inherently a nonlinear system, its controller design is a challenging problem. This paper presents a 2-degree-of-freedom PID controller designed to stably levitate the object in the magnetic field as well as for the position-tracking. All the simulation works are performed under MATLAB environment, and the simulation results have been discussed at the end of this paper.
KeywordsMagnetic levitation system Maglev PID Stability 2-Degree-of-Freedom PID controller
- 1.Yaghoubi, H. (2013). The most important maglev applications. Journal of Engineering, 2013.Google Scholar
- 6.Pati, A., & Negi, R. (2014). Suboptimal control of magnetic levitation (Maglev) system. In 2014 3rd International Conference on Reliability, Infocom Technologies and Optimization (ICRITO) (Trends and Future Directions). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 7.Pati, A., Kumar, A., & Chandra, D. (2014). Suboptimal control using model order reduction. Chinese Journal of Engineering, 2014, Article ID 797581, 5 p. Hindawi Publishing Corporation. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/797581.
- 9.Huang, H., Du, H., Li, W. (2015). Stability enhancement of magnetic levitation ball system with two controlled electromagnets. In 2015 Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference (AUPEC). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 10.Arun, G. et al. (2014). Design and implementation of a 2-DOF PID compensation for magnetic levitation systems. ISA Transactions, 53.4, 1216–1222.Google Scholar
- 11.Ibraheem, Ibraheem Kasim. (2017). Design of a two-Degree-of-Freedom controller for a magnetic levitation system based on LQG technique. Al-Nahrain Journal for Engineering Sciences, 16(1), 67–77.Google Scholar
- 12.Ahsan, M., Masood, N., & Wali, F. (2013). Control of a magnetic levitation system using non-linear robust design tools. In 2013 3rd International Conference on Computer, Control & Communication (IC4). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 14.Fallaha, C., Kanaan, H., & Saad, M. (2005). “Real time implementation of a sliding mode regulator for current-controlled magnetic levitation system. In Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Symposium on, Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation Intelligent Control. IEEE.Google Scholar
- 15.Lukáš, R., Krhovják, A., & Bobál, V. (2017). Predictive control of the magnetic levitation model. In 2017 21st International Conference on Process Control (PC). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 16.Sharkawy, A. B., & Abo-Ismail, A. A. Intelligent Control of Magnetic Levitation System.Google Scholar
- 17.Aliasghary, M. et al. (2008). Magnetic levitation control based-on neural network and feedback error learning approach. In PECon 2008. IEEE 2nd International Power and Energy Conference, 2008. IEEE.Google Scholar