Time of Arrival Positioning with Two and Three BTSs in GSM System
In recent years, location-based services like emergency, rescue, and response, and location-based marketing are gaining popularity. In all such services, location of involved entity should be located accurately and timely. GSM system is the most popular communication network around the world. Hence, such location detection techniques which require very less or no modification in the existing infrastructure are required. This paper talks about two enhanced ToA-based localization methods using two and three base transreceiver stations. The comparative study between standard ToA techniques and proposed techniques shows encouraging results in various regions like urban area, suburban area, hilly area, and open area.
KeywordsLocation-based services (LBSs) GSM network Time of arrival (ToA) Base transceiver station (BTS)
- 2.Roxin, A., Gaber, J., Wack, M., & Nait-Sidi-Moh, A. (2007). Survey of wireless geolocation techniques. In Globecom Workshops (pp. 1–9), 26–30 Nov 2007. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 4.Borenovic, M. N., Simic, M. I., Neskovic, A. M., Petrovic, M. M. (2005). Enhanced cell-ID+ TA GSM positioning technique. In EUROCON, Serbia & Montenegro, Belgrade, 22–24 Nov 2005.Google Scholar
- 8.Lin, L., & Pingzhi, F. (2006). An improved NLOS error mitigation TOA reconstruction method. In 2006 IET International Conference on Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (pp. 1–3), 6–9 Nov 2006.Google Scholar
- 10.Gustafsson, F., Gunnarsson, F. (2003). Positioning using time-difference of arrival measurements. In 2003 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 2003, Proceedings. (ICASSP ‘03) (Vol. 6, pp. VI 553–556) 6–10 April 2003.Google Scholar
- 12.Farley, T., & van der Hoek, M. (2006). GSM History. http://www.privateline.com/mt_gsmhistory/2006/01/handover.html.
- 13.Jain, S., Ghosh, R. K., & Shyamsundar, R. K. (2010). Engineering location based pathfinding on Indian road networks over low end mobile phones. In 2010 Second International Conference on Communication Systems and Networks (COMSNETS) (pp. 1–9), 5–9 Jan 2010.Google Scholar
- 14.Yost, G. P., & Panchapakesan, S. (1998). Improvement in estimation of time of arrival (TOA) from timing advance (TA). In IEEE 1998 International Conference on Universal Personal Communications, 1998, ICUPC ‘98 (Vol. 2, pp. 1367–1372), 5–9 Oct 1998.Google Scholar
- 15.Zheng, Y., Wang, H., Wan, L., & Zhong, X. (2009, May 11–13). A placement strategy for accurate TOA localization algorithm. In Seventh Annual Communication Networks and Services Research Conference, CNSR’09 (pp. 166–170).Google Scholar
- 16.Willis, M. (2007). Propagation. http//www.mike-willis.com/Tutorial/propagation/.html.