Design of An Improved Micro-Electro-Mechanical-Systems Switch for RF Communication System
This paper presents the design of improved MEMS shunt switch for RF communication applications. The switch was designed to provide a better performance in 10–100 GHz range. The switch was optimized in terms of width of the beam and air gap between the fixed type beam and dielectric layer to improve the isolation, insertion, and return loss. This study concludes that materials with high k-dielectrics and high Young’s modulus are desirable for better performance in high-frequency range. The isolation, insertion, and return loss for the designed switch are obtained as –12 dB, –0.05 dB, and –45 dB, respectively.
KeywordsMEMS RF Switch Insertion Isolation
This research work has been carried out in MEMS laboratory, Department of ECE, Rajiv Gandhi Central University, Itanagar, India.
- 3.Rebeiz, G. M. (2003). RF MEMS, Theory Design and Technology. Hoboken, New Jersey: Wiley.Google Scholar
- 8.Mishra, B., Panigrahi, R., & Alex, Z. C. (2009). Design of RF MEMS switch with high stability effect at the low actuation voltage. Sensors & Transducers, 111, 58.Google Scholar
- 14.Koutsoureli, M., et al. (2016). An in depth analysis of pull-up capacitance-voltage characteristic for dielectric charging assessment of MEMS capacitive switches. Microelectronics Reliability. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2016.07.027.
- 15.Larson, L. E., Hackett, R. H., Melendes, M. A., & Lohr, R. F. (1991). Micromachined microwave actuator (MIMAC) technology a new tuning approach for microwave integrated circuits. In Procedings IEEE Microwave and Millimeter-Wave Monolithic Circuits Symposium Digest (pp. 27–30).Google Scholar
- 16.Yao, J. J., & Chang, M. F. (1995). A surface micromachined miniature switch for telecommunications applications with signal frequencies from DC up to 4 GHz. In Proceedings. International Conference on Solid-State Sensors and Actuators Digest (pp. 384–387).Google Scholar
- 17.Agarwal, S., Kashyap, R., Guha, K., & Baishya, S. (2017). Modeling and analysis of capacitance in consideration of the deformation in RF MEMS shunt switch. Superlattices and Microstructures, 101.Google Scholar
- 21.Coplanar Waveguide Calculator. http://www.microwave101.com/encyclopedia.