Techniques for Evaluation of Biophysical Factors of Resistance in Crop Plants
Biophysical plant characters confer resistance or susceptibility to the phytophagous insect attack. The quantification of the role of biophysical features is key to designing and developing cultivars’ resistance/tolerance to pests under field conditions. While enumerating the data on the role of plant physical characters, a data sheet is provided to record field observations. Data to indicate the extent to which biophysical features are associated with resistance or susceptibility are also given.
KeywordsBiophysical plant features Resistance Tolerance Correlation and regression analysis
The authors would like to thank authorities of Annamalai University Tamilnadu, India, for their encouragement and support.
- Chakravarthy, A. K. (1977). Screening field bean (Lablab niger) germplasm to pod borers with specific reference to the pod borer, Adisura atkinsoni Moore (Noctuidae: Lepidoptera), MSc thesis submitted to UAS GKVK, Bengaluru.Google Scholar
- Dale Norris, & Marcos Kogan. (1980). Biochemical and morphological bases of resistance. In F. C. Maxwell & P. R. Jennings (Eds.), Breeding plants resistant to insects. New York: John Wiley and Sons.Google Scholar
- Dan Stein. (1991). Morphological mechanisms of crop resistance to insects. Plant Signaling & Behavior, 11(2), 15.Google Scholar
- Roger Yepsen, B. (Ed.). (1984). The encyclopedia of natural insect and disease control Emmaus. Emmaus: PA Rodale Press.Google Scholar
- Jackai, L. E. N., & Singh, S. R. (1988). Screening techniques for host plant resistance to insect pests of cowpea. Ibaden: IITA.Google Scholar
- Jaydeep, H., Sanwal, S. K., Dibyendu, D., Rai, A. B., & Singh, B. (2016). Mechanisms of physical and biochemical basis of resistance against leaf-hopper (Amrasca biguttula biguttula) in different okra (Abelmoschus esculentus) genotypes. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 86(4), 481–484.Google Scholar
- Sharma, H. C. (2014). Techniques to screen for plant resistance to insects (p. 4). Patancheru: ICRISAT.Google Scholar
- Smith, C. M. (1998). Plant resistance to insects. In J. E. Rechcigl & N. A. Rechnigl (Eds.), Biological and biotechnological control of insect pests (pp. 171–208). Boca Raton: Lewis Publishers.Google Scholar
- Stanley G. W. (1986). Cereal leaf beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) and winter wheat: Host plant resistance relationships. The Great lakes entomologist. Published by, ValpoScholar.Google Scholar