The New Era of Uniportal VATS
Since its advent in the early twenty-first century, uniportal VATS has expanded its utility from simple procedures (such as thoracic sympathectomy, pleural deloculations, mediastinal biopsies, pneumothorax, and wedge resections) [1–4] to major lung resections [5, 6]. For over a decade, this technique has become in vogue as surgeons gradually overcome the technical challenges, and perceived its potential benefits for patients in terms of reduced access trauma and postoperative discomfort, reduced chest wall pain and paresthesia, and quicker recovery .
- 8.Bagan P, De Dominicis F, Hernigou J, Dakhil B, Zaimi R, Pricopi C, Le Pimpec Barthes F, Berna P. Complete thoracoscopic lobectomy for cancer: comparative study of three-dimensional high-definition with two-dimensional high-definition video systems dagger. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2015;20(6):820–3. https://doi.org/10.1093/icvts/ivv031.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Li Z, Oo M, Nalam V, et al. Design of a novel flexible endoscope-cardioscope. ASME. International design engineering technical conferences and computers and information in engineering conference, Vol. 5B: 39th mechanisms and robotics conference.Google Scholar
- 12.Ng CS, Pickens A, Siegel JM, Clymer JW, Cummings JF. A novel narrow profile articulating powered vascular stapler provides superior access and haemostasis equivalent to conventional devicesdagger. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2016;49(Suppl 1):i73–8. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejcts/ezv352.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Yu PSLR, Capili GF, Wan IYP, Underwood MJ, Chu CM, Yu SCH, Ng CSH. Minimally-invasive sublobar resection of tiny pulmonary nodules with real-time image guidance in the hybrid theatre. Innovations (Phila). 2016;11:S98–9.Google Scholar
- 17.Ng CS, Yu SC, Lau RW, Yim AP. Hybrid DynaCT-guided electromagnetic navigational bronchoscopic biopsy†. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2016;49(Suppl 1):i87–8. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejcts/ezv405.
- 18.Gonzalez-Rivas D, Fernandez R, de la Torre M, Rodriguez JL, Fontan L, Molina F. Single-port thoracoscopic lobectomy in a nonintubated patient: the least invasive procedure for major lung resection? Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2014;19(4):552–5. https://doi.org/10.1093/icvts/ivu209.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Liu J, Cui F, Pompeo E, Gonzalez-Rivas D, Chen H, Yin W, Shao W, Li S, Pan H, Shen J, Hamblin L, He J. The impact of non-intubated versus intubated anaesthesia on early outcomes of video-assisted thoracoscopic anatomical resection in non-small-cell lung cancer: a propensity score matching analysis. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2016;50(5):920–5. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejcts/ezw160.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Zhu LH, Chen L, Yang S, Liu D, Zhang J, Cheng X, Chen W. Embryonic NOTES thoracic sympathectomy for palmar hyperhidrosis: results of a novel technique and comparison with the conventional VATS procedure. Surg Endosc. 2013;27(11):4124–9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-013-3079-0.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar