Extraction of Oil from Algal Biomass
Extraction of oil from algal biomass is presented in this chapter. Expeller/oil pressing; Single solvent extraction; Supercritical carbon dioxide extraction; Microwave-assisted extraction; Enzymatic extraction; Ultrasound assisted extraction; Oxidative stress; Electroporation; Osmotic shock are discussed.
KeywordsOil extraction Algal biomass Expeller/oil pressing Single solvent extraction Supercritical carbon dioxide extraction Microwave-assisted extraction Enzymatic extraction Ultrasound assisted extraction Oxidative stress Electroporation Osmotic shock
- Gharabaghi M, Amrei HD, Zenooz AM, Guzullo JS, Ashtiani FZ (2015) Biofuels: bioethanol, biodiesel, biogas, biohydrogen from plants and microalgae. In: Environmental chemistry for a sustainable world volume 5. Springer, Dordrecht, pp 233–274Google Scholar
- Naghdi GF, Thomas-Hall SR, Durairatnam R, Pratt S, Schenk PM (2014) Comparative effects of biomass pre-treatments for direct and indirect transesterification to enhance microalgal lipid recovery. Front Energy Res 2:57Google Scholar
- Ryan C (2009) Cultivating clean energy: the promise of algae biofuels. Report to Natural Resources Defense Council, USA, October 2009Google Scholar
- Sommerfeld M, Chen W, Hu Q, Giorgi D, Navapanich T, Ingram M, Erdman R (2008) Application of electroporation for lipid extraction from microlalgae. Algae Biomass Summit, SeattleGoogle Scholar
- Wang Y (2013) Microalgae as the third generation biofuel: production, usage, challenges and prospects. Uppsala University, UppsalaGoogle Scholar