Forensic Analysis of a Virtual Android Phone
With the world moving towards digital era and India’s special thrust in making the country a cashless economy, the use of digital device is increasing phenomenally and with it, the number of digital frauds. However, with increasing security features and new mobile versions being released on a near daily basis, getting an analysis tool which can extract data from most of the mobiles is a herculean task. To overcome this challenge, there is a need to carry out research on forensics analysis of smart phones. Since Android OS has a near monopoly in the smartphone market, the mobile forensics has to be focused more towards Android phones. This work tries to present a novel method of forensic analysis of Android phones in a virtualized environment using an emulator called Genymotion.
KeywordsMobile forensics Virtual device Genymotion Root Android
The authors would like to express sincere gratitude to ITM University Gwalior and GFSU Gandhinagar for providing the platform to work in cyber security as well as mobile forensics.
- 2.Alzaylaee, M.K., Yerima, S.Y., Sezer, S.: EMULATOR vs REAL PHONE: android malware detection using machine learning. In: IWSPA 2017 Proceedings of the 3rd ACM International Workshop on Security and Privacy Analytics, co-located with CODASPY 2017 (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Lee, S.: A study on android emulator detection for mobile game security. In: KOCCA, 2014 International content market trend, KOCCA, January 2015Google Scholar
- 4.Singh, S., Singh, S., Mishra, B.: Artificial user emulator to detect intelligent malware on android. Int. J. Intell. Comput. Research. 6, 640–646 (2015). https://doi.org/10.20533/ijicr.2042.4655.2015.0079CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Shavers, B.: A discussion of virtual machines related to forensics analysisGoogle Scholar
- 6.Sylve, J., Andrew, C., Marziale, L., Richard, G.G.: Acquisition and analysis of volatile memory from android devices. SciVerse ScienceDirect Digit. Investig. 8(2012), 175–184 (1997)Google Scholar