Acute Peritoneal Dialysis (PD)
Peritoneal dialysis for AKI remains an important form of AKI treatment especially in the setting of small infants as well as low- and middle-income countries where extracorporeal facilities may not easily be available. The gold standard is a Tenckhoff catheter placed by a surgeon with training in this area in a sterile environment and then commencing automated PD using commercially manufactured dialysis fluid. However in many settings this may not be available and so this chapter offers alternative improvisation techniques for bed-side insertion of PD catheters/similar as well as custom produced dialysis fluid in an attempt to offer PD for any child with AKI in the acute setting.
KeywordsPeritoneal dialysis (PD) Acute kidney injury (AKI) PD catheter Tenckhoff
- 12.Bunchman T, Smoyer W, Valentini R, Kershaw D, Gregory M, Sedman A. Modality and mortality in pediatric renal replacement therapy. Paper presented at the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 1994.Google Scholar
- 14.Cullis B, Abdelraheem M, Abrahams G, Balbi A, Cruz DN, Frishberg Y, Koch V, McCulloch M, Numanoglu A, Nourse P, Pecoits-Filho R, Ponce D, Warady B, Yeates K, Finkelstein FO. ISPD Guidelines/Recommendations. Peritoneal dialysis for acute kidney injury. Perit Dial Int. 2014;34:494–517.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Olszewski, AE, Stein, D, McCulloch, M, Su, S, Hames, D, Wolbrink, TA. Virtual Peritoneal Dialysis Simulator. 2016. Online Interactive Simulator OPENPediatrics https://www.openpediatrics.org/assets/simulator/peritoneal-dialysis-simulator.
- 18.Warady BA, Bakkaloglu S, Newland J, Cantwell M, Verrina E, Neu A, et al. Consensus guidelines for the prevention and treatment of catheter-related infections and peritonitis in pediatric patients receiving peritoneal dialysis: 2012 update. Perit Dial Int. 2012;32(Suppl 2):S32–86. https://doi.org/10.3747/pdi.2011.00091.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 19.Hisamatsu C, Maeda K, Aida Y, Yasufuku M, Ninchoji T, Kaito H, et al. A novel technique of catheter placement with fibrin glue to prevent pericatheter leakage and to enable no break-in period in peritoneal dialysis. J Pediatr Urol. 2015;11(5):299–300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpurol.2015.07.005.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar