Evaluation on Hydraulic Conductivity of Heavy Bentonite-Based Slurry for Using on Decommissioning of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station
The 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku earthquake affected Japan, wreaking severe damage to the Nuclear Power Station in Fukushima. Heavy Bentonite-Based Slurry has been examined the use as filling-type water sealing materials in damaged nuclear reactors. This research was conducted to investigate and define the water stopping capabilities of Heavy Bentonite-Based Slurry for controlling the nuclear accidents. In this study, the falling head permeability tests were conducted to quantify it. The results show that the hydraulic conductivity decreased from k = 10−8 m/s to k = 10−10 m/s with sedimentation of specimens.
KeywordsHydraulic conductivity Falling head permeability test Slurry Bentonite Barite
This research was conducted with support from ‘Human Resource Development and Research Program for Decommissioning of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station’ by the Japan Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
- Nuclear Emergency Response Headquarters (2015) Mid-to-Long Term Roadmap (RM) on de commissioning of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power StationGoogle Scholar
- Darley HCH, Grey GR (1988) Composition and Properties of Drilling and Completion Fluids, 5th edn. Gulf Professional Publishing, pp 38–41Google Scholar
- Yoshikawa E, Komine H, Goto S et al (2017a) The quantitive evaluation for radiation shielding capabilities of soil materials. J Jpn Soc Civ Eng Ser C (Geosph Eng) 73(4):342–354Google Scholar
- Yoshikawa E, Komine H, Goto S et al (2017) The evaluation for radiation shielding ability of the soil materials and application to design for construction. In: 19th ICSMGE, 3479–3482Google Scholar
- Goto S et al (2017) Needs for the decommissioning geotechnical engineering for the Fuku shima Daiichi Nuclear power plant. In: 19th ICSMGE, pp 3119–3122Google Scholar
- Nishigaki M, Komatsu M, Mikake S et al (2015) Evaluation on application of bentonite slurry grout for excavation disturbed zone in order to recover low permeable rock masses. J Jpn Soc Civ Eng Ser C (Geosph Eng) 806:55–66Google Scholar