Diffusion Characteristics of Lead, Zinc, Cadmium in a Novel Phosphate-Based Binder Stabilized Soil
Effective diffusion coefficient and partition coefficient are essential parameters to quantitatively assess the adverse impact of contaminated or stabilized soil on surrounding environment. In this study, a new method is developed to back-calculate the effective diffusion coefficient and partition coefficient of contaminants in the stabilized soil. Furthermore, the migration characteristics of Pb, Zn and Cd in a novel phosphate-based binder stabilized soil are investigated. The test results show that the effective diffusion coefficients of Pb and Zn (8.5 × 10−13 m2/s and 7 × 10−13 m2/s) in the stabilized soil are significantly lower than that of Cd (1.5 × 10−12 m2/s). While the partition coefficients of Pb and Zn (8200 mg/L, 4500 mg/L) are significantly higher than that of Cd (2100 mg/L).
KeywordsSolidification/stabilization Heavy metals Contaminated soil Effective diffusion coefficient Partition coefficient
The authors are grateful for the support of Environmental Protection Scientific Research Project of Jiangsu Province (Grant No. 2016031), National High Technology Research and Development Program of China (Grant No. 2013AA06A206), the State Key Program of National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 41330641), National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 41472258).
- 5.ASTM (2008) Standard method for accelerated leach test for diffusive release from solidified waste and a computer program to model diffusive, fractional leaching from cylindrical waste forms. ASTM C1308, West Conshohocken, PAGoogle Scholar
- 6.USEPA (2013) Mass Transfer Rates of Constituents in Monolithic or Compacted Granular Materials Using a Semi-dynamic Tank Leaching Procedure. USEPA Method 1315. Office of Wastewater Management, Washington DCGoogle Scholar
- 8.Rowe R, Quigley R, Brachman RWI et al (2004) Barrier systems for waste disposal facilities. Spon Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 11.China MEP (2007) Identification standards for hazardous wastes-Identification for corrosivity (GB5085. 1-2007). China Environmental Science Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- 12.China MOC (1999) Standard for soil test method, GB/T 50123. Ministry of Construction of People’s Republic of China, BeijingGoogle Scholar