How to Perform Hydraulic Conductivity Upscaling in the Daily Practice of Geotechnical Modeler?
Although important for many geotechnical issues, hydraulic conductivity heterogeneity is rarely considered in geotechnical practice for two main issues. First, it is almost impossible to sample the entire area of interest. Second, it is very difficult to account for scale effects in our numerical models. In this paper, we divulgated an important result obtained in a previous work , where those two problems were faced. An innovative approach in geotechnics based on simple averaging process is showed. That approach incorporates spatial variability, multiscale data, and uncertainty treatment into a workflow that could be implemented in the daily practice of geotechnical engineers in order to perform hydraulic conductivity upscaling. The approach described allows a practical and reliable hydraulic conductivity upscaling for the studied soil, proving itself as a good solution for the daily practice of the geotechnical modeler.
KeywordsSpatial variability Hydraulic conductivity Upscaling Simple averaging Laplace with skin
- 4.Gómez-Hernández JJ, Fu J, Fernandez-Garcia D (2006) Upscaling retardation factors in 2-D porous media. In: Bierkens MFP, Gehrels JC, Kovar K (eds) Calibration and reliability in groundwater modelling: from uncertainty to decision making, proceedings of ModelCARE 2005 conference held Hague, Netherlands, 6–9 June 2005. IAHS Publication, pp 130–136Google Scholar
- 9.Benson CH, Zhai H, Rashad SM (1994) Statistical sample size for construction of soil liners. J Geotech Eng 120(10):1704–1724. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9410(1994)120:10(1704)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Huang J, Griffiths DV, Fenton GA (2010) probabilistic analysis of coupled soil consolidation. J Geotech Geoenvironmental Eng 136:417–430. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000238CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Gómez-Hernandez JJ (1990) A stochastic approach to the simulation of block conductivity fields conditional upon data measured at a smaller scale. Stanford UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 14.de Godoy VA (2018) Upscaling of water flow and mass transport in a tropical soil: numerical, laboratory and field studies. Universitat Politècnica de València. https://doi.org/10.4995/thesis/10251/102405
- 17.Journel A, Deutsch C, Desbarats A (1986) Power averaging for block effective permeability. Proc SPE Calif Reg Meet https://doi.org/10.2118/15128-ms
- 18.Giacheti HL, Rohm SA, Nogueira JB, Cintra JCA (1993) Geotechnical properties of the Cenozoic sediment (In portuguese). In: Albiero JH, Cintra JCA (eds) Soil from Inter. São Paulo. ABMS, Sao Paulo, pp 143–175Google Scholar
- 19.Mahapatra IC, Singh KN, Pillai KG, Bapat SR (1985) Rice soils and their management. Indian J Agron, 1–41Google Scholar
- 20.Isaaks EH, Srivastava RM (1989) An introduction to applied geostatistics. University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar