Design and Implementation of a Reactive Navigation System for a Smart Robot Using Udoo Quad
This chapter describes a process of design and implementation of a reactive navigation system for a smart mobile robot. Equipped with a webcam and distance sensors, the autonomous robot will explore an arena to locate a number of sites in a limited time all while avoiding the arena boundary and any obstacles it might encounter. A fuzzy behavior-based control scheme with adaptive membership functions has been taken as a proposed reactive navigation system. The tests of the proposed method were performed in a real robot using a UDOO Quad board, which is a single-board computer equipped with two CPU, and experiments demonstrated that this embedded system was able to successfully complete the autonomous navigation task in a real arena.
KeywordsReactive navigation system Behavior-based control Mobile robot Fuzzy logic Adaptive membership function UDOO Quad OpenCV
- Assis, L. S., Soares, A. S., Coelho, C. J., & Baalen, J. V. (2016). An evolutionary algorithm for autonomous robot navigation. International Conference on Computational Science, 80, 2261–2265.Google Scholar
- Lin, H.-I., & Tzeng, H. Jr. (2014). Search strategy of a mobile robot for radiation sources in an unknown environment. In International Conference on Advanced and Intelligent Systems (pp. 56–60).Google Scholar
- Murphy, R. (2000). Introduction to AI robotics. Cambridge: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Koren, Y., & Borenstein, J. (1991). Potential field methods and their inherent limitations for mobile robot navigation. In IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (pp. 1398–1404).Google Scholar
- Putney, J. S. (2006). Reactive navigation of an autonomous ground vehicle using dynamic expanding zones. Thesis, Faculty of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.Google Scholar
- Siegwart, R., & Nourbakhsh, I. N. (2004). Introduction to autonomous mobile robots. Cambridge: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Siegwart, R., Nourbakhsh, I. R., & Scaramuzza, D. (2011). Introduction to autonomous mobile robots (2nd ed.). Cambridge: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- UDOO Starting Manual. http://udoo.org/download/files/Documents/UDOO_Starting_Manual_beta0.4_11_28_2013.pdf.