Delta Blues and Culture
Blues music is an essential part of the social and economic environment of those with roots in the American South, and especially in the Mississippi Delta. It is a music genre now recognised universally.
Clarksdale holds a special place in Delta culture, and today the town and the surrounding region continue to reflect intrinsic components of the Blues heritage. This background provides the context for subsequent assessments in relation to the economic revitalisation of the downtown, especially the discussion concerning “creative people” and their contributions to economic development.
Today, the town is building a new and progressive outlook, embracing the music and the heritage, and moving towards a new era based on cultural tourism. Significant economic revitalisation is underway, supported by local individuals and with community involvement.
- Cobb, J. C. (1992). The Most Southern Place on Earth – The Mississippi Delta and the Roots of Regional Identity. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Fodor’s Travel. (2018, May 17). https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/12-best-american-music-cities-that-arent-nashville
- Gioia, T. (2008). Delta Blues – The Life and Times of the Mississippi Masters Who Revolutionized American Music. New York: WW Norton & Company.Google Scholar
- Guralnick, P. (1989). Searching for Robert Johnson – The Life and Legend of the “King of the Delta Blues Singers”. New York: Plume.Google Scholar
- King, S. A. (2011). I’m Feeling the Blues Right Now – Blues Tourism and the Mississippi Delta. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi.Google Scholar
- Lemann, N. (1991). The Promised Land – The Great Black Migration and How It Changed America. New York: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Lomax, A. (1993). The Land Where the Blues Began. New York: The New Press.Google Scholar
- Palmer, R. (1982). Deep Blues – A Musical and Cultural History from the Mississippi Delta to Chicago’s South Side to the World. New York: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Preston, A. (2018). Americana Music Triangle. Birdsong Creative.Google Scholar
- Rooster Records and Delta Blues Museum. (1995). Mississippi Blues Musicians. Clarksdale: Rooster Blues Records.Google Scholar
- Stolle, R. (2011). Hidden History of Mississippi Blues. Charleston: The History Press.Google Scholar