Management of Papillary Microcarcinoma of the Thyroid with A Short Column (Management of Tumors Diagnosed as Follicular Neoplasm on Cytology)
The definition of papillary microcarcinoma (PMC) by the WHO is papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC) measuring 10 mm or less regardless of extension to adjacent organs (Ex), clinical lymph node metastasis (N), and distant metastasis (M). Low-risk PMC is defined as PMC without Ex, N, or M. Recent development of imaging techniques, especially ultrasound examination, has enabled us to detect small nodules measuring 3 mm or less. Additionally, ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) facilitated diagnosis of small nodules detected by ultrasound. Because of the prevalence of these techniques, PMC has been very frequently detected and diagnosed. Largely due to these developments, the incidence of thyroid cancer, especially of small PTC, is increasing globally without an increase in thyroid cancer mortality.
- 2.Takebe K, Date M, Yamamoto Y. Mass screening for thyroid cancer with ultrasonography [in Japanese]. KARKINOS. 1994;7:309–17.Google Scholar
- 9.Haugen BR, Alexander EK, Bible KC, Doherty GM, Mandel SJ, Nikiforov YE, Pacini F, Randolph GW, Sawka AM, Schlumberger M, Schuff KG, Sherman SI, Sosa JA, Steward DL, Tuttle RM, Wartofsky L. 2015 American Thyroid Association management guidelines for adult patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer: The American Thyroid Association guidelines task force on thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid. 2015;26:1–133.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Uruno T, Miyauchi A, Shimizu K, Tomoda C, Takamura Y, Ito Y, Miya A, Kobayashi K, Matuzuka F, Amino N, Kuma K. Usefulness of thyroglobulin measurement in fine-needle aspiration biopsy specimens for diagnosing cervical lymph node metastasis in patients with papillary thyroid cancer. World J Surg. 2005;29:483–5.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Ito Y, Miyauchi A, Kudo T, Ota H, Yoshioka K, Oda H, Sasai H, Nakayma A, Yabuta T, Masuoka H, Fukushima M, Higashiyama T, Kihara M, Kobayashi K, Miya A. Effects of pregnancy on papillary microcarcinoma of the thyroid re-evaluated in the entire patient series at Kuma Hospital. Thyroid. 2016;26:156–60.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Oda H, Miyauchi A, Ito Y, Yoshioka K, Nakayama A, Sasai H, Masuoka H, Yabuta T, Fukushima M, Higashiyama T, Kihara M, Kobayashi K, Miya A. Incidence of unfavorable events in the management of low-risk papillary microcarcinoma of the thyroid by active surveillance versus immediate surgery. Thyroid. 2016;26:150–5.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Oda H, Miyauchi A, Ito Y, Sasai H, Masuoka H, Yabuta T, Fukushima M, Higashiyama T, Kihara M, Kobayashi K, Miya A. Comparison of the costs of active surveillance and immediate surgery in the management of low-risk papillary microcarcinoma of the thyroid. Endocr J. 2017;64:59–64.CrossRefGoogle Scholar