Every Organization Is a Complex ICT System
This chapter shows how every organization is ICT driven, and why we need an “ICT lens” for looking at the modern and future landscapes of industry and society. It shows, with example, how every business is becoming a digital business, and outlines the main differences between the new organizations and the old. The nature of work and the kind of new jobs, careers, and skills are discussed.
KeywordsICT Information Digital business Information valuation New organization Automation Learning Work Career Field NASSCOM Organizational development Open innovation
- Birudavolu, S. (2015). Open Innovation in ICT: An Empirical Assessment of Global Telecommunications Services. Unpublished thesis submitted for PhD at Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- Economist. (2015). Driving the Skills Agenda, Preparing Students for the Future. An Economist Intelligence Unit Report sponsored by Google. Retrieved from https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/edu.google.com/en//pdfs/skills-of-the-future-report.pdf.
- Gershgorn, D. (2017, April 11). Five Years Ago, AI Was Struggling to Identify Cats. Now It’s Trying to Tackle 5000 Species. Quartz. Retrieved from https://qz.com/954530/five-years-ago-ai-was-struggling-to-identify-cats-now-its-trying-to-tackle-5000-species/.
- iNaturalist Challenge. (2017). The Fourth Workshop on Fine-Grained Visual Categorization. Retrieved from https://sites.google.com/view/fgvc4/competitions/inaturalist.
- Kay, John. (1995) Foundations of corporate success: how business strategies add value. Oxford Paperbacks.Google Scholar
- Laney, D. (2017, November 13). Turn Your Big Data into a Valued Corporate Asset, Gartner, Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/gartnergroup/2017/11/13/turn-your-big-data-into-a-valued-corporate-asset.
- Markoff, J. (2012, June 25). How Many Computers to Identify a Cat? 16,000. New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/technology/in-a-big-network-of-computers-evidence-of-machine-learning.html.
- NASSCOM Future Skills. (2018). Retrieved from http://futureskills.nasscom.in.
- Oxford Dictionaries, Definition of Critical Thinking. Retrieved from https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/critical_thinking.
- Pistrui, J. (2018, January 18). The Future of Human Work Is Imagination, Creativity, and Strategy. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2018/01/the-future-of-human-work-is-imagination-creativity-and-strategy.
- Senge, P. M. (1990). The Learning Organization. Doubleday/Currency, ISBN 0-385-26094-6.Google Scholar
- Viviano, F. (2016, September). How This Tiny Country Feeds the World. National Geographic Magazine. Retrieved from www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/09/holland-agriculture-sustainable-farming/.