Multiculturalism in India and Europe: Policy and Practice
Contemporary societies are characterised by increasing cultural diversity. However, diversity has become a source of conflict and intolerance among people belonging to different cultural affiliations. Sheetal Sharma argues that there is a need for reducing differences between culturally diverse groups, through institutional frameworks that guarantee freedom and respect for all. Multiculturalism as a policy option attempts to manage cultural diversity. Multiculturalism has been criticised because it views cultural differences in essentialised and static terms, reinforcing ethnic differences and breeding separatism. Sharma asserts that multiculturalism has failed to provide a viable and sustainable sense of unity in multicultural societies. Drawing on the experiences of India and Europe, the author attempts to capture the contours of multiculturalism and to identify possible combination of philosophical, theoretical and practical measures for promoting sustainable and effective social integration in multicultural societies.
KeywordsMulticulturalism Identity Integration Cultural diversity Europe India
- Banting, K., & Kymlicka, W. (2010). Is There Really a Backlash Against Multiculturalism Policies? New Evidence from the Multiculturalism Policy Index. Working Paper 2012:4. Retrieved January 23, 2018, from http://www.su.se/polopoly_fs/1.103203.1349356868!/menu/standard/file/SULCIS_WP2012_4.pdf.
- Bhan, R. (2017, October 2). Dalit Man, 21, Beaten to Death Allegedly for Attending Garba in Gujarat. NDTV. Retrieved January 26, 2018, from https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/dalit-man-21-beaten-to-death-allegedly-for-attending-garba-in-gujarat-1757498.
- Bhargava, R., Kumar Bagchi, A., & Sudarshan, R. (2007). Multiculturalism, Liberalism and Democracy. New Delhi: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Bosswick, W., & Heckmann, F. (2006). Integration of Migrants: Contribution of Local and Regional Authorities. European Forum for Migration Studies (EFMS) at the University of Bamberg, Germany: European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions, Dublin. Retrieved January 26, 2018, from www.eurofound.europa.eu/pubdocs/2006/22/en/1/ef0622en.pdf.
- Euractiv. (2016, June 20). UN Refugee Chief: Worrying ‘Climate of Xenophobia’ in Europe. Retrieved December 13, 2017, from https://www.euractiv.com/section/global-europe/news/un-refugee-chief-worrying-climate-of-xenophobia-in-europe/.
- European Union. (2013). Study on Practices of Integration of Third-Country Nationals at Local and Regional Level in the European Union. The Report Written by the Centre for Strategy and Evaluation Services (CSES). Retrieved June 13, 2017, from http://cor.europa.eu/en/documentation/studies/Documents/survey_integration_3rd_country_nationals/survey_integration_3rd_country_nationals.pdf.
- EUROSTAT. (2016, July 8). First Population Estimates. Newsrelease 134/2016. Retrieved June 21, 2017, from http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/7553787/3-08072016-AP-EN.pdf/c4374d2a-622f-4770-a287-10a09b3001b6.
- EUROSTAT. (2017). Migration and Migrant Population Statistics. Retrieved June 21, 2017, from http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Migration_and_migrant_population_statistics.
- Hall, S. (2001). The Multicultural Question. Papers in Social and Cultural Research No. 4, Pavis Centre for Social and Cultural Research, The Open University, Milton Keynes, United Kingdom. Retrieved June 12, 2017, from http://www.open.ac.uk/socialsciences/pavis/papers.php.
- Hill, J. (2016, February 22). Migrant Attacks Reveal Dark Side of Germany. Retrieved January 26, 2018, from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35633318.
- Horn, H. (2015, October 16). Is Eastern Europe Any More Xenophobic Than Western Europe? The Atlantic. Retrieved December 2017, from https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/10/xenophobia-eastern-europe-refugees/410800/.
- Kymlicka, W. (2007). Multicultural Odysseys. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Lopes Paulos, F. (2017, July 31). Multiculturalism in Europe. One Europe. Retrieved December 13, 2017, from http://one-europe.net/multiculturalism-in-europe.
- Mammone, A. (2016, October 7). In Europe, Xenophobia Is Winning Over Rationality. CNN International Edition. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/07/opinions/xenophobia-over-rationality-mammone/index.html.
- Meyer, H. (2015, November 18). A Note on Terrorism, Muslims and Multiculturalism. Social Europe. Retrieved June 21, 2017, from https://www.socialeurope.eu/2015/11/a-note-on-terrorism-muslims-and-multiculturalism/.
- Nehru, J. (1961). Discovery of India. Bombay: Asia Publishing House.Google Scholar
- Outlook. (2017, August 9). UP Witnesses 60 Communal Incidents, 16 Deaths in 2017, Highest in the Country. Retrieved January 26, 2018, from https://www.outlookindia.com/website/story/up-witnesses-60-communal-incidents-16-deaths-in-2017-highest-in-the-country/300193.
- Parekh, B. (1999, December). What Is Multiculturalism. Seminar, No. 484. Retrieved May 3, 2017, from www.india-seminar.com/1999/484/484%20parekh.htm.
- Parekh, B. (2000). Rethinking Multiculturalism. In Cultural Diversity and Political Theory (2nd ed.). Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Pathak, A. (2006). Modernity, Globalization and Identity: Towards a Reflexive Quest. New Delhi: Aakar Books.Google Scholar
- Sharma, S. (2014a). Social Integration in Multicultural Societies: A Comparative Study of India and Europe. In R. K. Jain (Ed.), Multiculturalism in India and Europe (pp. 49–71). New Delhi: Aakar Books.Google Scholar
- Sharma, S. (2014b). Multiculturalism and the Social Structure in India and Europe. In R. K. Jain (Ed.), Multiculturalism in India and Europe (pp. 1–25). New Delhi: Aakar Books.Google Scholar
- Stokes, B. (2016, July 22). The Immigration Crisis Is Tearing Europe Apart. Foreign Policy. Retrieved December 14, 2017, from http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/07/22/the-immigration-crisis-is-tearing-europe-apart/.
- Sunderland, J. (2016, January 13). For Europe, Integrating Refugees Is the Next Big Challenge. World Politics Review. Retrieved June 21, 2017, from https://www.hrw.org/news/2016/01/13/europe-integrating-refugees-next-big-challenge.
- The Guardian. (2005, November 6). Violence Sweeps France in 10th Night of Riots. Retrieved January 26, 2018, from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/nov/06/france.davidsmith.
- The Independent. (2016, October 4). Brexit Vote Has Led to Noticeable Rise in UK Xenophobia. Watchdog Warns. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-vote-has-led-to-noticeable-rise-in-uk-xenophobia-watchdog-warns-a7343646.html.
- The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA). (2016, December 16). Defining “Multiculturalism”. Retrieved May 12, 2017, from https://www.ifla.org/publications/defining-multiculturalism.
- Vertovec, S., & Wessendorf, S. (2009). Assessing the Backlash Against Multiculturism in Europe. MMG WP 09-04, Göttingen: Max Planck Institute. Retrieved January 26, 2018, from www.mmg.mpg.de/publications/working-papers/2009/wp-09-04/.