The European Union (EU) is facing multiple challenges. These include difficulties in managing a single currency mechanism, an influx of refugees, a crisis in Ukraine, terrorist attacks, a stand-off in Catalonia, the rise of populism and the British exit from the EU. This chapter argues that despite these difficulties, the EU is still a major economy with a huge capacity to influence issues concerning global governance and climate change. As a major trade and investment partner of India, developments in Europe have significant implications for the Indian economy and India–EU ties. Although Free Trade Agreement negotiations are deadlocked, the strategic partnership is gaining momentum with an agreed Agenda for Action 2020. Areas of convergence include climate change, energy, the environment, counter-terrorism, maritime security, science and technology, development cooperation, migration and mobility, civil society links and dialogues on Asia and Africa.
KeywordsEuropean Union Brexit Catalonia India Crisis Refugees Strategic partnership Regional integration
- EUGS (European Union Global Strategy). (2016). Shared Vision, Common Action: A Stronger Europe a Global Strategy for the European Union’s Foreign and Security Policy. Retrieved from https://eeas.europa.eu/archives/docs/top_stories/pdf/eugs_review_web.pdf.
- European Commission. (2017, September 13). President Jean-Claude Juncker’s State of the Union Address 2017. Retrieved from http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-17-3165_en.htm.
- Filipovic, G., & Savic, M. (2017, October 2). Serbia Criticizes EU for ‘Hypocrisy’ After Catalan Vote. Retrieved from https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-02/serbia-criticizes-eu-for-hypocrisy-on-catalan-kosovo-votes.
- MEA (Ministry of External Affairs). (2016). EU India Agenda for Action 2020. Retrieved from mea.gov.in/Images/attach/EU_India_Agenda_for_Action_post_VC.pdf.
- Sachdeva, G. (2012, February 7). The Eurozone Crisis and India-EU Ties. IDSA Comment. Retrieved from https://idsa.in/idsacomments/TheEurozoneCrisisandIndiaEUTies_gsacjdeva_070212.
- Sachdeva, G. (2015). Evaluation of the EU-India Strategic Partnership and the Potential for Its Revitalization. Brussels: Foreign Affairs Committee, European Parliament.Google Scholar
- Sachdeva, G. (2016, December 24). Europe in a Corner. The Indian Express. Retrieved from https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/europe-in-a-corner-assassination-russian-ambassador-4442344/.
- Sachdeva, G. (2017, October 12). What the Catalan Crisis Means for the Larger Europe Project. The Hindustan Times. Retrieved from https://www.hindustantimes.com/analysis/what-the-catalan-crisis-means-for-the-larger-europe-project/story-mI8M8BqDIpk1g2enE0mfeL.html.