Y-Chromosomal STR Typing and Case Studies
The basis of Y-STR DNA profiling is derived from Y chromosome, which is passed down to all the male child from the father almost intact, from generation to generation without changing (except mutations in Y-chromosome STRs). The beautiful aspect of Y-STRs is its consistent and allele amplification among close paternal male relatives as well as dispersed male relatives. Y chromosome has lower mutability rate than the mtDNA which is always transferred to all the children from the mother, thus making it more stable generation after generation. This chapter elaborately discussed various Y-STR kits developed, its application, and accuracy. We have also highlighted the various reasons and conditions for mutations in Y chromosomes. In this chapter, we tried to establish the application of Y-STRs profiling in forensic science and criminal justice system and its implication. Y-STR-related case studies have also documented to show its use and applicability in forensic sciences.
KeywordsY chromosome STRs DNA typing Forensic science Haplotype Case studies
The authors are thankful to the director, State Forensic Science Laboratory, Ranchi, Jharkhand, for support.
- 2.Applied Biosystems (2011)Amp FℓSTR Yfiler PCR Amplification Kit Users ManualGoogle Scholar
- 4.Ballantyne KN, Kayser M (2013) Additional Y-STRs in forensic: why, which and when. In: Jaiprakash S and Ray L (ed) Forensic DNA typing (current practices and emerging technologies). https://doi.org/10.12012F015361
- 20.Ge JY, Yan JW, Xie Q, Sun HY, Zhou HG, Li B (2013) Development of Chinese forensic Y-STR DNA database. Fa Yi XueZaZhi 29:212–221Google Scholar
- 23.Goedbloed M, Vermeulen M, Fang RN, Lembring M, Wollstein A, Ballantyne K, Lao O, Brauer S, Kru¨ger C, Roewer L et al (2009) Comprehensive mutation analysis of 17 Y-chromosomal short tandem repeat polymorphisms included in the AmpFlSTRYfiler PCR amplification kit. Int J Legal Med 123:471–482CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Jain T, Shrivastava P, Bansal DD, Dash HR, Trivedi VB (2016) PowerPlex Y23 system: a fast, sensitive and reliable Y-STR multiplex system for forensic and population genetic purpose. J Mol Biomark Diagon 7:3Google Scholar
- 33.Kayser M (2003) The human Y-chromosome-introduction into genetics and applications. Forensic Sci Rev 15:78–90Google Scholar
- 35.Kayser M, Ballantyne KN (2014) Y chromosome in forensic science. In: Primorac D, Shanfield M (eds) Forensic DNA applications: an interdisciplinary perspective. CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 43.Magalhaes T, Dinis-Oliveira RJ, Silva B, Corte-Real F, Nuno Vieira D (2015) Biological evidence management for DNA analysis in cases of sexual assault. Sci World J 365674Google Scholar