Air Quality Parameter Measurements System Using MQTT Protocol for IoT Communication Over GSM/GPRS Technology
Increasing populations and industrial activity are threatening our environment. Air pollutants are emitted at a very high rate. With the technological innovation and advancement, smart cities have come into existence where Information Technology is used for better optimization and resources planning hence promoting the sustainable growth and development. Internet of Things and Data Analytics together can lead an organization to better cost management, avoiding equipment failures and improving business operations. We propose Air Quality Measurement System which can effectively keep a track over Air quality in atmosphere. Internet is used for end to end connectivity. The parameters sensed by the system are sent to the server through a Cellular Network System. Communication between device and server is deployed over lightweight Message Queuing Telemetry Transportation (MQTT) protocol.
KeywordsEmbedded systems Internet of things (IoT) Internet protocol MQTT protocol
- 1.Kraijak, S., & Tuwanut, P. (2015). A survey on internet of things architecture, protocols, possible applications, security, privacy, real-world implementation and future trends. In IEEE 16th International Conference on Communication Technology (ICCT), 2015 (pp. 26–31). https://doi.org/10.1109/icct.2015.7399787.
- 2.Jangid, S., et al. (2016). An embedded system model for air quality monitoring. In 3rd International Conference on Computing for Sustainable Global Development (INDIA Com), 2016.Google Scholar
- 3.Mansour, S., Nasser, N., Karim, L., & Ali, A. (2014). Wireless Sensor Network-based Air Quality Monitoring System. In International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), 2014.Google Scholar
- 4.Kodali, R. K. (2016). An implementation of MQTT using CC3200. In 2016 International in Conference on Control, Instrumentation, Communication and Computational Technologies (ICCICCT), 2016.Google Scholar
- 5.Mansour, S., Nasser, N., Karim, L., & Ali, A. (2014). Wireless sensor network-based air quality monitoring system. In International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), 2014.Google Scholar
- 6.MQ135 Datasheets retrieved from URL http://china-total.com/Product/meter/gas-sensor/MQ135.pdf.
- 7.MQ135 library for Arduino Uno retrieved from https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/MQGasSensors.
- 8.Petty, S., Summary of Ashrae’s Position on Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Levels.Google Scholar
- 9.DHT11 Datasheet retrieved from URL https://www.adafruit.com/product/386.
- 10.DHT11 library for Arduino Uno https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/DHT11Lib in Spaces. Retrieved from URL https://www.ashrae.org/File%20Library/docLib/Technology/…/TC-04-03-FAQ-35.pdf.
- 11.Publish Subscribe Architecture. Available https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff649664.aspx.
- 12.Oasis MQTT version 3.1.1. Available: http://docs.oasis-open.org/mqtt/mqtt/v3.1.1/os/mqtt-v3.1.1-os.pdf.
- 13.Quectel Wireless Solutions “GSM/GPRSM66”. Retrieved from http://www.quectel.com/product/prodetail.aspx?id=73. Retrieved 2015-05-04.
- 14.Arduino Software and Hardware Uno Tutorials January, 2012 retrieved from URL http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/.