The ATLAS Muon-to-Central-Trigger-Processor-Interface (MUCTPI) Upgrade
The Muon-to-Central-Trigger-Processor Interface is part of the Level-1 trigger system of the ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN. The upgrade of the Muon-to-Central Trigger Processor Interface will be described. It will use optical input and provide full precision region-of-interest information for muon candidates to the topological trigger processor of the Level-1 trigger system. The new Muon-to-Central-Trigger-Processor Interface will be implemented as an ATCA blade receiving 208 optical serial links from the ATLAS muon trigger detectors. Two high-end processing FPGAs will eliminate double counting of identical muon candidates in overlapping regions and send candidate information to the topological trigger and multiplicities to a third FPGA which will combine the candidate information, send muon multiplicities to the Central Trigger Processor and provide readout data to the ATLAS data acquisition system. A System-on-Chip module will provide communication with the ATLAS run control system for control, configuration and monitoring of the new Muon-to-Central-Trigger-Processor Interface.
KeywordsTrigger Data acquisition Control Embedded Linux
- 1.The ATLAS Collaboration: The ATLAS experiment at the CERN large hadron collider. J. Instrum. JINST 3, S08003 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Haas, S., et al.: The ATLAS Muon to central trigger processor interface. In: Proceedings of Topical Workshop on Electronics for Particle Physics, CERN-2007-007 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Akatsuka, S., et al.: The phase-1 upgrade of the ATLAS Level-1 endcap muon trigger. In: Proceedings of Topical Workshop on Electronics for Particle Physics, Springer Proceedings in Physics 212 (2018)Google Scholar
- 4.Xilinx AXI Chip2Chip Protocol. https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/axi-chip2chip.html. Accessed 13 June 2017
- 5.Yocto Project. https://www.yocotoproject.org. Accessed 13 June 2017