The Proposal of Environmental Evaluation of Household Fuel Cell Considering Life-Cycle Analysis and Process Designing
Fuel cell technology is a promising countermeasure for mitigation of global warming problem. In the R&D on this technology, the achievements of higher energy efficiency and/or energy saving including cogeneration system are focused. Due to these benefits, the abatement of greenhouse gases (GHGs) is expected. However, the estimation of eco-burden should be identified by not only GHGs but also other impacts. In International Electrotechnical Commission/Technical Committee 105 (IEC/TC 105), the visualization of eco-burden on basis of LCA has been developed to improve the FC cogeneration system (CGS) for a residential sector. Both of PEFC-CGS and SOFC-CGS were targeted in this paper. The direct CO2 emission linked to the operating performance and the indirect emission and metal depletion attributed to their manufacturing specifications were analyzed. In addition, here, using data envelopment analysis (DEA) to combine these multiple aspects, the advanced eco-efficacy (FC-DEA) was proposed. Due to this index, the operating performance and eco-friendly manufacturing scheme can be expressed at the same time.
KeywordsPEFC-CGS SOFC-CGS Life-cycle assessment Data envelopment analysis
- 1.Results of COP 21, International Global Warming Countermeasures Office, Global Environment Bureau, Ministry of the Environment, and future plans (in Japanese). https://www.env.go.jp/earth/ondanka/cop21_paris/paris_conv-c.pdf.
- 2.Trend of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions in the nationwide global warming prevention activity promotion center, household sector (in Japanese). http://www.jccca.org/home_section/homesection01.html.
- 3.Ministry of the Environment Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. Japan calculation results of emission of greenhouse gas household division (in Japanese). http://www.env.go.jp/earth/ondanka/ghg/2014yoin2_7.pdf.
- 4.Fuji Economy. Surveying fuel cell system, the world market of major stack parts (in Japanese). https://www.fuji-keizai.co.jp/market/15036.html.
- 5.Secretariat of International Standardization Committee for Fuel Cell, Proceedings of JWG = LCA (Fuel Cell Subcommittee).Google Scholar
- 6.Hiroyuki Jinno, Kenji Oido, Kiyoshi Douwaki (2016) A proposal of the integrated indicator of PEFC-CGS in consideration of CO2 emission and resource depletion: The 11th Japan LCA society research presentation, The University of Tokyo Kashiwa Campus Tokyo, pp. 350–351(in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 7.Tokyo Gas. Ene-Farm product specification (in Japanese). http://home.tokyo-gas.co.jp/enefarm_special/enefarm/specific.html.
- 8.Osaka gas, Ene-Farm type S product specification (in Japanese). http://home.osakagas.co.jp/search_buy/enefarm/about/lineup.html.
- 9.Mizuho Information & Research Institute Co. Survey on lifecycle evaluation of stationary fuel cell system and fuel cell vehicle. (2008) (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 12.Fuel Cell International Standardization Committee, JWG-LCA, Document No. 3–03, Measurement method for 11 mode energy efficiency of small fuel cell power systems and for annual energy consumption of standard residence (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 13.Masoni P. Guidance Document for performing LCAs on Fuel Cells and H2 Technologies, FC-Hy Guide.Google Scholar
- 14.JRC European commission, ILCD handbook International reference life cycle data system—General guide for life cycle assessment detailed guidance.Google Scholar
- 15.Pre Consultants. SimaPro. https://simapro.com/.
- 16.Swiss Centre for Life Cycle Inventories. Ecoinvent 3.3. http://www.ecoinvent.org/database/ecoinvent-33/ecoinvent-33.html.
- 17.Saha MS, Malevich D, Halliop E, Pharoach JG, Peppley BA, Karan K. J Electrochem Soc. 2011;158:B562–7.Google Scholar
- 18.New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization. Technology development promoting practical application of polymer electrolyte fuel cells/basic technology development/low platinum technology (in Japanese). http://www.nedo.go.jp/content/100759808.pdf.
- 19.Kitahara H, Iguchi F, Okuda T, Sata N, Kawada T, Yugami H. Trans Jpn Soc Mech Eng. 2012;78:74–83. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 20.Zhang W, Yan D, Yang J, Chen J, Chin B, Pu J, Li J. J Power Sources. 2014;271:25–31.Google Scholar
- 21.Data Envelope Analysis-input and output. http://www.econ.tohoku.ac.jp/~ksuzuki/teaching/2006/ch4.pdf.
- 22.Tone K. Measurement and improvement of management efficiency - by the envelope analysis method DEA. Tokyo: JUSE Press, Ltd; 1993.Google Scholar
- 23.Institute of Environmental Science (CML), Handbook on LCA. http://cml.leiden.edu/research/industrialecology/researchprojects/finished/new-dutch-lca-guide.html.