Land-Use Continuity: Farmland and Old Wineries
This chapter explores cases of rural land investment that deliver continuity in land-use but bring new motives and practices to established rural activities. These cases include the following: (1) the acquisition of the Sella & Mosca Winery in Sardinia, first by Campari in the 2000s and more recently by Holding Terra Moretti. (2) Investment in United Kingdom farming by the industrial entrepreneur James Dyson, through his Beeswax Company. (3) The consolidation of horticultural activity in Almería, Spain, by larger local and international operators. (4) The Wellcome Trust’s investment in UK farming in support of its medical research goals. (5) The use of investment funds to support ‘leaseback’ farming operations in Eastern Europe.
KeywordsLand investment Farming Vineyards Horticulture Impacts
- Barnett, M. (2014). Assurance for farm workers as the Co-op sells up. in The Yorkshire Post, 5 August 2015. http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/environment/assurance-for-farm-workers-as-the-co-op-sells-up-1-6766825. Accessed 10 May 2017.
- Benedetto, G. (2016). Social-life cycle assessment as an extended tool for the measurement of the social responsibility in the agro-food sector. Rivista di Economia Agraria, 71(1), 486–494.Google Scholar
- Bidwells. (n.d.). Case studies: Purchase of Farmcare, Wellcome Trust. Bidwells LLP. http://www.bidwells.co.uk/case-studies/wellcome-trust-farmcare/. Accessed 10 May 2017.
- Biggadike, J. (2016a, May 10). Planning application document: ‘Landscape & Visual Impact Assessment’ prepared for Beeswax Farming (Rainbow) Ltd. http://planningonline.n-kesteven.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&;keyVal=O8CJJGLL04800. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- Biggadike, J. (2016b, July 29). Planning application document: ‘Letter with landscape impact info’, prepared for Beeswax Farming (Rainbow) Ltd. http://planningonline.n-kesteven.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=O8CJJGLL04800. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- BioSabor. (2017). Our premises. http://www.biosabor.com/our-premises/?lang=en. Accessed 18 July 2017.
- Boor, R. (2016, June 6). Planning application document: ‘Design and Access Statement’, prepared for Beeswax Farming (Rainbow) Ltd. http://planningonline.n-kesteven.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=O8CJJGLL04800. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- Cabogataspain.com. (2017). Details of the Cabo de Gata Nature Reserve. http://www.cabogataspain.com/Gata-Nature-Reserve/Natural-Park/Cabo-Gata-Key-Facts.html. Accessed 19 July 2017.
- Countryfile. (2010). Intensive dairy farming – Is this the way to do it? BBC1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vlspc. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- Dale-Harris, L., & Semeniuc, S. (2015). Dutch Rabobank buys up land stolen from Romanian farmers. Published by LINX. http://linx.crji.org/88-88-5456/dutch-rabobank-buys-land-stolen-from-romanian-farmers. Accessed 9 Oct 2017.
- Davies, C. (2010, April 13). Animal health campaigners welcome delay of ‘battery farm’ dairy. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/apr/13/animal-welfare-nocton-dairies-farming. Accessed 28 Nov 2017.
- Directorate-General for Internal Policies. (2015). Extent of land grabbing in the EU. Strasbourg: European Parliament. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/STUD/2015/540369/IPOL_STU(2015)540369_EN.pdf. Accessed 9 Oct 2017.
- Farmers Guardian. (2017, November 24). Farmcare hand over farming operations. Farmers Guardian.Google Scholar
- Farmers Weekly. (2013, March 5). James Dyson buying land. Farmers Weekly. http://www.fwi.co.uk/community/topic/james-dyson-buying-land/. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- Farmers Weekly. (2017, November 21). Farmcare to quit ‘operational’ farming. Farmers Weekly. http://www.fwi.co.uk/business/farmcare-to-quit-operational-farming.htm. Accessed 27 Nov 2017.
- Financial Times. (2015, April 10). Inside the Dyson Dynasty. The Financial Times. https://www.ft.com/content/528c518c-de2e-11e4-8d14-00144feab7de. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- Gruppo Campari. (2016). Gruppo Campari exits the still Italian wine business. https://www.camparigroup.com/en/gruppo-campari-sells-italian-wineries-sella-mosca-and-teruzzi-puthod. Accessed 18 June 2018.
- Hall, G. (2013, January 10). Beeswax Farming (Rainbow) Ltd. Blog entry: Nocton in Lincolnshire. http://nocton.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/beeswax-farming-rainbow-ltd.html. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- Hall, G. (2014, February 4). Parish Council. Blog entry: Nocton in Lincolnshire. http://nocton.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=carrington. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- Hall, G. (2015, December 9). Beeswax Farming – Presentation. Blog entry: Nocton in Lincolnshire. http://nocton.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/beeswax-farming-presentation.html. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- Hernandez Mora, N., Martinez Cortina, L., Llamas Madruga, M. R., & Custodio Gimena, E. (2008). Groundwater issues in southern EU member states – Spain country report. European Academies, Science Advisory Council.Google Scholar
- Horden, P., & Purcell, N. (2000). The corrupting sea: A study of Mediterranean history. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers Ltd.Google Scholar
- ISPRA (Istituto Superiore per la Protezione e la Ricerca Ambientale). (2017). Carta del valore naturalistico-culturale d’Italia: Un applicativo di Carta della Natura. Rome: ISPRA. http://www.isprambiente.gov.it/it/pubblicazioni/rapporti/carta-del-valore-naturalistico-culturale-d2019italia-un-applicativo-di-carta-della-natura. Accessed 6 July 2017.
- Junta de Andalucia. (2017). Andalucia pueblo a pueblo – fichas municipales. SevilleJunta de Andalucia: http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/institutodeestadisticaycartografia/sima/info.htm?f=h01. Accessed 28 Nov 2017.
- Lawrence, F. (2011, February 7). Spain’s salad growers are modern-day slaves, say charities. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/feb/07/spain-salad-growers-slaves-charities. Accessed 28 Nov 2017.
- Mancia, M. S. (2014). Romanian agricultural land value in world context. Journal of Applied Engineering Sciences, 4(17), 55–58.Google Scholar
- Mineral Products Today. (2016). National treasure. Mineral Products Today. http://www.mineralproducts.org/documents/Mineral_Products_Today_13.pdf. Accessed 27 July 2017.
- Reading Agricultural Consultants. (2009). Nocton heath farm: Non-technical summary. Reading Agricultural Consultants, Reading. http://planningonline.n-kesteven.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=KUSYLLLLX0000. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- Regione Autonoma della Sardegna. (2016). Publication, revision and updating of the management plan for the hydrographic district of Sardinia in accordance with Directive 2000/60/EC (WFD). Cagliari: Regione Autonoma della Sardegna. http://www.regione.sardegna.it/index.php?xsl=510&s=304398&v=2&c=6703&t=1&tb=6695&st=7. Accessed 10 July 2017.
- Ripoll, S., Macmillan, T., Muños, M. J. B., Velázquez, E., López, C. M., & Levidov, L. (2011). WP3: Water scarcity and its virtual export from Spain to the UK – Final report of the Co-operative Research on Environmental Problems in Europe project. Brighton/Seville: Food Ethics Council and Fundación Nueva Cultura del Agua.Google Scholar
- The Guardian. (2011, March 2). It is unfair to compare migrant workers to slaves – Letter to the editor. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/mar/02/migrant-workers-not-slaves-spain. Accessed 19 July 2017.
- The Lincolnite. (2015, October 8). First sighting of bee species in Lincolnshire in 100 years at Lincoln farm. The Lincolnite. http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2015/10/first-sighting-of-bee-species-in-lincolnshire-in-100-years-at-lincoln-farm/. Accessed 2 Feb 2017.
- The Wellcome Trust. (2016). Annual report and financial statements 2016. London: The Wellcome Trust. https://wellcome.ac.uk/sites/default/files/WellcomeTrustAnnualReportFinancialStatements_160930.pdf. Accessed 10 May 2017.
- The Wellcome Trust. (2017a). FRC UK Stewardship code – Response statement. London: The Welcome Trust. https://wellcome.ac.uk/sites/default/files/investments-response-frc-uk-stewardship-code-2017.pdf. Accessed 10 May 2017.
- The Wellcome Trust. (2017b). Investment policy. London: The Wellcome Trust. https://wellcome.ac.uk/sites/default/files/investment-policy-april-2017.pdf. Accessed 10 June 2017.
- Tolón, A., Lastra, X., & Fernández, V. J. (2013). Huella hídrica y sostenibilidad del uso de los recursos hídricos. Aplicación al Poniente Almeriense. Estudios previos y medidas de eficiencia. M+A, Revista Electrónic@ de Medio Ambiente, 14(1), 56–86.Google Scholar
- Valera Martínez, D. L., Belmonte Ureña, L. J., Domingo Molina Aiz, F., & López Martínez, A. (2016). Greenhouse agriculture in Almería. A comprehensive techno-economic analysis. Serie Econmía. Caja Rural.Google Scholar