The Changing Nature of Investment in Rural Assets
Themes explored in this chapter include rural land investment, acquisition and consolidation. The chapter addresses five questions. First, what have been the recent patterns of rural land acquisition and consolidation, particularly those driven by new investors? Second, what approaches characterise investment, passive and indirect or active and direct? Third, who are the investors in rural land? Fourth, what are the motives behind investment in rural land assets? Fifth, and finally, how do investment motives and strategies link to emerging place-based impacts? The big question tackled here is who is investing in rural land assets and for what reason. The chapter flags the profit-seeking nature of land investment (and financialisation) alongside personal motivations.
KeywordsRural areas Land Investors Investment Motivations
- Chen, S., Wilson, W., Larsen, R., & Dahl, B. (2013). Investing in agriculture as an asset class. Agribusiness and applied economics report 711, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics, North Dakota State University, Fargo.Google Scholar
- GRAIN. (2016). The global farmland grab in 2016: How big, how bad? Barcelona: GRAIN.Google Scholar
- IIED (International Institute for Environment and Development). (2012). Farms and funds: Investment funds in the global land rush. London: IIED. http://pubs.iied.org/17121IIED. Accessed 28 Nov 2017.
- International Land Coalition. (2016). Effective actions against land grabbing (web resource). Rome: ILC. http://www.landcoalition.org/en/commitments/9-effective-actions-against-land-grabbing. Accessed 28 Nov 2017.
- Liddiard, R. (2016). Arable land more likely to be fertile ground for investors than equities. London: Carter Jonas. www.carterjonas.co.uk. Accessed 27 Nov 2017.
- Luyt, I., Santos, N., & Carita, A. (2013). Emerging investment trends in primary agriculture. A review of equity funds and other foreign-led investments in the CEE and CIS region. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.Google Scholar
- Oakland Institute. (2012, December 4). Do you know what your pension fund is doing in Africa? Oakland: Oakland Institute. https://www.oaklandinstitute.org/press-release-do-you-know-what-your-pension-fund-doing-africa. Accessed 28 Nov 2017.
- Pahl, R. E. (1975). Whose city?: And further essays on urban society. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- RICS. (2015). RICS/RAU Rural Land Market Survey H1 2015. London: Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.Google Scholar
- RICS. (2016). RICS/RAU Rural Land Market Survey H1 2016. London: Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.Google Scholar
- Taylor, M. (2016). Who owns the land? Barbers rural land and property specialists, Market Drayton, Shropshire. www.barbers-rural.co.uk/blog/who-owns-land. Accessed 28 Nov 2017.