Design and Performance Analysis of Optical Signal Processing Module in Open Air and Underwater Environment
Considering the characteristics of green, pervasive, license free and potentially high bandwidth, Visible Light Communication (VLC) has attracted increasing attention in the field of underwater communication. In this proposed work, it has been intended to take advantage of recent developments of Light Emitting Diode (LED) in particular with the higher light output and more precise tuning of wavelength. Photo sensor technology has been employed to perform Optical Signal Processing. Optical communication using LEDs could be conferred for scenarios where high speed, low power and less complex communication systems are desired. The proposed VLC technique aims to achieve perfect signal processing in open air and in underwater environment with high propagation speed. On-off Keying (OOK) Modulation is incorporated to achieve efficient communication. With the use of lens optics, high speed and long distance (greater than 3 m) disclosure in open air and aquatic environment can be effectuated.
KeywordsLight emitting diode Lens optics On-off keying Optical signal processing Photo sensor Visible light communication
This research work is funded by SRM University under “Selective Excellence Initiative Program”, SRMU/R/AR(A)/2015/126/1866.
- 1.Falcitelli, M., Pagano, P.: Visible Light Communication for Cooperative ITS. Springer International Publishing Switzerland, pp. 19–47 (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Wei, W., Ping, W., Tian, C., Hongxin, T., Yan, Z., Lixin, G.: Performance investigation of underwater wireless optical communication system using M-ary OAMSK modulation over oceanic turbulence. IEEE Photon. J. 9(5) (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.Yeh, P., Yeh, N., Lee, C.-H., Ding, T.-J.: Applications of LEDs in optical sensors and chemical sensing device for detection of biochemicals, heavy metals, and environmental nutrients. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 75, 461–468 (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Hussein, A.F., Elgala, H., Fahs, B., Hella, M.M.: Experimental investigation of DCO-OFDM adaptive loading using Si PN-based receiver. In Wireless and Optical Communication Conference (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Young, C.J., Hae, N.K., Jae H.K., Hyuck, K.H., Yeon, S.C., Suk, W.J., Sung, P.K.: Novel wearable-type biometric devices based on skin tissue optics with multispectral LED–photodiode matrix. Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 56(46) (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Babar, Z., Nguyen, H.V., Botsinis, P., Alanis, D., Chandra, D., Ng, S.X., Hanzo, L.: Unity-rate codes maximize the normalized throughput of ON–OFF keying visible light communication. IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 29(3) (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Duntley, S.Q.: Measurements of the Transmission of Light From an Underwater Source Having Variable Beam-Spread. Project S F001 05 01, University of California Scripps Institution of Oceanography (1960)Google Scholar