Computer-Aided Diagnosis of Epilepsy Based on the Time-Frequency Texture Descriptors of EEG Signals Using Wavelet Packet Decomposition and Artificial Neural Network
An adaptive time-frequency (t-f) representation of electroencephalographic (EEG) signals with high time and frequency resolutions using wavelet packet decomposition are introduced in this paper for automated diagnosis of epilepsy. The novel texture pattern techniques namely local neighbor descriptive pattern (LNDP) and symmetric weighted LNDP (SWLNDP) are proposed to obtain distinct features from the t-f images. Proposed texture pattern techniques are insensitive to local and global variations as the consecutive neighboring pixels are compared. SWLNDP is a modified version of LNDP which improves the computational efficiency of the system by reducing the feature vector length. The histogram based features are extracted from the texture pattern of t-f images and fed into artificial neural network (ANN) for classification of signals. The obtained results show that ANN attained an accuracy of 100% using proposed techniques for classifying epileptic and normal signal. Further the performance of the proposed system was analyzed for fifteen different cases using University of Bonn EEG dataset.
KeywordsWavelet packet decomposition Electroencephalographic (EEG) Local neighbor descriptive pattern (LNDP) Symmetric weighted local neighbor descriptive pattern (SWLNDP) Artificial neural network (ANN)
This paper work was endorsed by the “Technology Systems Development Programme (TSDP)” under Department of Science and Technology (DST), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India (GoI), [Grant Number—DST/TSG/ICT/2015/54-G, 2015].
- 1.Li, Y., Wang, X., Luo, L., Li, K., Yang, X., Guo, Q.: Epileptic seizure classification of EEGs using time-frequency analysis based multiscale radial basis functions. IEEE J. Biomed. Health Inform. 99, 1 (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.Boashash, B., Boubchir, L., Azemi, G.: A methodology for time-frequency image processing applied to the classification of non-stationary multichannel signals using instantaneous frequency descriptors with application to newborn EEG signals. EURASIP J. Adv. Signal Process. 2012(1), 117 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Andrzejak, R.G., Lehnertz, K., Rieke, C., Mormann, F., David, P., Elger, C.E.: Indications of nonlinear deterministic and finite dimensional structures in time series of brain electrical activity: dependence on recording region and brain state. Phys. Rev. 64, 061907 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Boubchir, L., Al-Maadeed, S., Bouridane, A.: Haralick feature extraction from time–frequency images for epileptic seizure detection and classification of EEG data. In: The 26th IEEE International Conference on Microelectronics, pp. 32–35 (2014)Google Scholar
- 16.Boubchir, L., Al-Maadeed, S., Bouridane, A., Chérif, A.A.: Classification of EEG signals for detection of epileptic seizure activities based on LBP descriptor of time-frequency images. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Quebec City, QC, pp. 3758–3762 (2015)Google Scholar