Adult Intestine Aging Model
The Drosophila adult has an intestine composed of a series of differentiated cells and tissue stem cells, all of which are similar to the mammalian intestinal cells. The aged adult intestine shows apparent characteristics such as multilayering of absorptive cells, misexpression of cell type-specific genes, and hyperproliferation of stem cells. Recent studies have revealed various gene networks responsible for progression of these aged phenotypes. The molecular mechanism for senescence of the Drosophila adult midgut and its relation with the corresponding mechanism in mammals are overviewed. In addition, a basic method for observing aged phenotypes of the midgut is described.
KeywordsDrosophila Midgut ISCs Senescence Dl JNK Upd Integrin AstA Dh31
- Adachi-Yamada T, Nakamura M, Irie K, Tomoyasu Y, Sano Y, Mori E, Goto S, Ueno N, Nishida Y, Matsumoto K. p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase can be involved in transforming growth factor beta superfamily signal transduction in Drosophila wing morphogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 1999b;19(3):2322–9.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Fujita T, Kanno T, Kobayashi S. The Paraneuron. Tokyo: Springer; 2012.Google Scholar
- Maeda K, Takemura M, Umemori M, Adachi-Yamada T. E-cadherin prolongs the moment for interaction between intestinal stem cell and its progenitor cell to ensure notch signaling in adult Drosophila midgut. Genes Cells Devoted Mol Cell Mech. 2008;13(12):1219–27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2443.2008.01239.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nalapareddy K, Nattamai KJ, Kumar RS, Karns R, Wikenheiser-Brokamp KA, Sampson LL, Mahe MM, Sundaram N, Yacyshyn MB, Yacyshyn B, Helmrath MA, Zheng Y, Geiger H. Canonical Wnt signaling ameliorates aging of intestinal stem cells. Cell Rep. 2017;18(11):2608–21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.celrep.2017.02.056.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Regan JC, Brandao AS, Leitao AB, Mantas Dias AR, Sucena E, Jacinto A, Zaidman-Remy A. Steroid hormone signaling is essential to regulate innate immune cells and fight bacterial infection in Drosophila. PLoS Pathog. 2013;9(10):e1003720. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.ppat.1003720.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Takeda K, Okumura T, Terahata M, Yamaguchi M, Taniguchi K, Adachi-Yamada T. Drosophila peptide hormones Allatostatin a and diuretic hormone 31 with complementary gradient distribution in posterior midgut antagonistically regulate midgut senescence and adult lifespan. Zool Sci in press. 2018. https://doi.org/10.2108/zs170099.