Status of Conogethes punctiferalis (Guenée) in South of Vietnam
Currently over a dozen species of Conogethes have been recognized. Of which, Conogethes punctiferalis is prevalent on several plants and well distributed in South of Vietnam. Species of Conogethes infesting ginger and other Zingiberaceae belong to another species. Durian, soursop, longan, and rambutan are the major fruit crops infested by C. punctiferalis in Vietnam. Integration of cultural, mechanical, biological, and chemical methods has proven effective against this borer pest. Augmentation and supplement releases of parasites and encouragement and conservation of predators and natural enemies is necessary for suppressing Conogethes borer populations in fruit orchards and plantations.
KeywordsDurian Ginger Integrated pest management Vietnam
Authors are greatfully thankful to the authorities of the SOFRI, Vietnam, ICAR-IIHR, Bengaluru, and ICAR, New Delhi. All photographs in this chapter are by the senior author.
- CAB International (2011) Conogethes punctiferalis datasheet. In: Crop protection compendium. CAB International, WallingfordGoogle Scholar
- CABI (2005) Conogethes punctiferalis datasheet. In: Crop protection compendium. CAB International, WallingfordGoogle Scholar
- Evangelista CC (1995) Biology, ecology and control of durian fruit borers, Tonica lagaropis Meyeick (Oecophoridae: Lepidoptera) and Conogethes punctiferalis (Guen.) (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). University of the Philippines Los Banos, Ph D. thesis, PCARRD. http://www.sel.barc.usda.gov/scalenet/scalanet.htm
- Huynh Thanh Loc, Le Quoc Dien and Nguyen Van Hoa (2006) Intergrated controling fruit borer (Conogethes punctiferalis Guen.) on Durian in the Mekong Delta. Results of the technological and scientific research 2004-2005 of the Southern Horticultural Research Institute. Agricultural Publishers: 214–222Google Scholar
- Huynh Thanh Loc, Nguyen Van Hoa, Vo Huu Thoai, Luong Ngoc Trung Lap, Dang Thuy Linh, Nguyen Thanh Tung, Nguyen Thi Kim Thoa, Nguyen Van Thanh, Pham Thi Thu Hong and Nguyen Van Hai (2015) Study on technical solutions to improve productivity, quality and build models follow VietGAP on soursop at Tan Phu Dong (2011–2015). Report of ProjectGoogle Scholar
- Maruthi SJ, Chandrasekaran S, Preetha G (2009) Conogethes punctiferalis (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) its biology and field parasitization. Indian J Agric Sci 79(11)Google Scholar
- Nguyen Thi Kim Thoa, Nguyen Thanh Hieu, Nguyen Van Hoa and Nguyen Huu Hoang (2009) The survey results on fruit borer species and effect of some biochemicals in controlling fruit borer on Tieu da bo Longan. Results of the technological and scientific research 2008-2009 of the Southern Horticultural Research Institute. Agricultural Publishers: 94–98Google Scholar
- Pena JE, Nadel H, Barbosa-Pereira M, Smith D (2002) Pollinators and pests of annona species. In: Pena J, Sharp J, Wysoki M (eds) Tropical fruit pests and pollinators: biology, economic importance, natural enemies and control. CABI Publication, UK, p 208Google Scholar