The Alcond Employees Industrial Co-Operative Society Limited
We present a case study of the Alcond Employees Industrial Co-Operative Society, a wire factory owned and run by workers in Kolkata, India. Through the Alcond we learn lessons about the formation of industrial cooperatives and their unique challenges. We find that Alcond was limited by the lack of a proactive cooperative building strategy among CITU and CPIM. Following a defensive approach to cooperative formation, Alcond and other cooperatives in India have been able to preserve employment and an industrial base for some period of time. This example compares poorly against the Mondragon Cooperative movement in the Basque region which pursued a proactive cooperative strategy and was able to maintain itself as a movement successfully. These limitations explain the marginalization and decline of Alcond.
- Bag, K. 2011. Red Bengal’s rise and fall. New Left Review, vol. 70.Google Scholar
- Basu, J. 1998. Introductory Note. Documents of the Communist Party of India, vol XIV, National Book Agency Private Limited: Kolkata.Google Scholar
- Basu, M. 2014, Study looks into why West Bengal’s trade unions are now weaker, Available from: http://www.livemint.com/Industry/PmEwcYGGH1SadedoKgZ9cK/Study-looks-into-why-West-Bengals-trade-unions-are-now-weak.html.
- Bhattacherjee, D. 1999, Organized labor and economic liberalization India: Past and present. International Institute for Labour Studies, Geneva.Google Scholar
- Chandhok, HL. 1990. India database: Volume 1. Living Media India, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- International Cooperative Alliance. 2012. Mamata pushes cooperatives on suicidal course. Available from: http://ica.coop/en/media/thenews/mamata-pushes-cooperatives-suicidal-course.
- Kamani Tubes. 2015. Kamani Tubes. Available from: http://kamanitubes.com/.
- Karat, P. 2000, CPI(M) Programme: Basic strategy reiterated. The Marxist. Vol. 16, no. 3. Available from: http://www.cpim.org/marxist/200003_marxist_progrm_pk.htm.
- Karunakaran, N. 2011. How Dalit entrepreneur Kalpana Saroj revived Kamani Tubes Ltd. Available from: http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-07-29/news/29829281_1_dalit-kamani-tubes-ktl.
- Lahiri, A & Yi, K. 2004. A tale of two states. Available from: http://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/6366629.pdf.
- Mondragon Corporation. 2014. Annual Report. Available from: http://www.mondragon-corporation.com/eng/about-us/economic-and-financial-indicators/annual-report/
- Mukherjee, A. 1999. Bengal Ingot employees to run unit, submits revival plan. Available from: http://expressindia.indianexpress.com/fe/daily/19990624/fco24003.html
- Nagarik Manch. 2005. Factory closures and plight of workers: A comprehensive summary of Bengal’s industrial condition. Available from: http://sanhati.com/excerpted/1233/.
- Ness, I. and Azzellini, D. 2011. Ours to Master and to Own: Workers’ Control from the Commune to the Present. Chicago: Haymarket Books.Google Scholar
- Patnaik, Prabhat. 2006. Three Decades of Left Front Rule in Bengal. Nature, Society and Thought. Vol 19, Iss 4.Google Scholar
- Patnaik, Prabhat. 2011. The Myths of Capitalism. Available from: https://mronline.org/2011/07/04/the-myths-of-capitalism/
- Ramaswamy, V. 2011, “It does not die” – Urban protest in Kolkata, 1987–2007. Samaj: South Asia Multidisciplinary Academic Journal. Vol. 5.Google Scholar
- Ray, S. 2011. The political economy of decline of industry in West Bengal: Experiences of a Marxist state within a mixed economy. Available from: http://web2.uconn.edu/economics/working/2011-10.pdf.
- Rey, H. 1986. Sino-Soviet conflict over India: An analysis of the causes of conflict between Moscow and Beijing over India since 1949. Abhinav Publications: Delhi.Google Scholar
- Roychaudhuri, Ajitabha and Basu, Gautam Kumar. 2007. The Decline and Recent Resurgence of the Manufacturing sector of West Bengal: Implications for Pro-Poor Growth from and Institutional Point of View. IPPG Discussion Paper No 10, University of Manchester, UK.Google Scholar
- Surjeet, HS. 2000, Programme updated with changing times. The Marxist, Vol. 16, No 3. Available from: http://cpim.org/content/programme-updated-changing-times
- The Telegraph. 2013. HC strikes down cooperative act. Available from: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1130914/jsp/bengal/story_17348497.jsp#.Ve1CeRGqpBc
- Vanniarajan, R. 1999. Labourisation in India. Indian Journal of Industrial Relations. Vol 34, Iss 3: 361–367.Google Scholar
- Whyte, WF & Whyte, KK. 1991. Making Mondragon: The growth and dynamics of the worker cooperative complex. Cornell University Press: London.Google Scholar
- Yechury, S. 1999. The road to socialism in China. The Marxist. Vol. 15, No. 4. Available from: http://www.cpim.org/marxist/199904_marxist_china_sry.htm.