Research on the Energy-Dissipating Properties of SMA Wires Used in Smart Automotive Safety Systems
The energy dissipation properties of martensite NiTi SMA wires under two different loads, including a quasi-static tensile load and an impact load, are studied through our newly designed testing plants. Meanwhile, by changing the temperature of the SMA wires, the controllability of energy dissipation of the SMA wires is discussed in detail. The results indicate that martensite NiTi SMA wires show excellent energy dissipation capabilities under the loads. It is also found that the energy dissipation properties of the SMA wires can be improved by changing their temperature. The energy dissipation properties of martensite NiTi SMA wires demonstrate that NiTi SMAs have the possibility to be applied in smart automotive safety systems.
KeywordsNiTi SMA wires Static test Impact test Energy dissipation Temperature load
The contents presented in this paper were supported by Science and technology development project of Jilin Province, No. 20160101283JC and The “13th Five-Year” Science and Technology Research Project of Education Department of Jilin Province, No. 2016-417.
- 1.Xinmin Zhang (2013) The research process of smart materials. FRP/CM Z2:57–63Google Scholar
- 2.Pengfei Xue, Fei Zhang, Yan Li, Deyuan Zhang (2015) Progress in Ti-based shape memory alloys. Chin J Rare Metals 01:84–90Google Scholar
- 3.Butera F, Coda A, Vergani G (2007) Shape memory actuators for automotive applications. In: Nanotec IT newsletter. AIRI/nanotec IT, Roma, pp 12–6Google Scholar
- 5.Butera F (2008) Shape memory actuators for automotive applications. Adv Mater Processes 166:37Google Scholar
- 6.Jani JM, Leary M, Subic A, Gibson MA (2014) A review of shape memory alloy research, applications and opportunities. Mat Des 56:1078–1113Google Scholar
- 9.Strittmatter J, Gümpel P, Zhigang H (2009) Long-time stability of shape memory actuators for pedestrian safety system. J Achiev Mater Manuf Eng 34:23–30Google Scholar