Calculation Method for Settlement of Stiffened Deep Mixed Column-Supported Embankment over Soft Clay
Stiffened Deep Mixed (SDM) column is a new ground improvement technique which can be used to significantly increase bearing capacity and reduce settlement of soft soil. In the region consisting of deep thick saturated soft soil, SDM columns have been successfully used to support highways and railway embankments, tanks, and buildings. However, there still has been no feasible method in design of SDM column-reinforced subsoil so far. This paper proposed a method to calculate settlement of SDM columns-supported embankment over soft soil. The total settlement of SDM column-reinforced soft soil is a sum of the compression of the soil within length of stiffened core piles, the compression of the soil from core pile tip to SDM column base and the compression of the soil below SDM column base. Punching effect was considered in developing the method to consider the punching deformation of core pile upward and downward. A full scale test was introduced to verify the feasibility of the proposed method and it yielded a good prediction with the field data.
KeywordsStiffened deep mixing column Soft clay Settlement Embankment Theoretical analysis
The authors appreciate the financial support provided by the Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) (Grant No. 51508408 & No. 51078271) and the Pujiang Talents Scheme (No. 15PJ1408800) for this research.
- Bjerrum, L., Johannesson, I.J., Eide, O.: Reduction of skin friction on steel piles to rock. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundations Engineering, Montreal (1969)Google Scholar
- Chen, X.F.: The Theory and Building Cases of Settlement Computation. Science Publication, Beijing (2005)Google Scholar
- Jones, A.: Tables of stressed in three-layer elastic systems. Highw. Res. Board Bull. (342), 176–214 (1962)Google Scholar
- Ling, G.R., An, H.Y., Xie, D.Z.: Experimental study on concrete core mixing pile. J. Build. Struct. 22(2), 92–96 (2001). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Qian, Y.J., Xu, Z.W., Deng, Y.G., Sun, G.M.: Engineering application and test analysis of strength composite piles. Chin. J. Geotech. Eng. 35(2), 998–1001 (2013)Google Scholar
- Tanchaisawat, T., Suriyavanagul, P., Jamsawang, P.: Stiffened deep cement mixing (SDCM) pile: laboratory investigation. In: Excellence in Concrete Construction Through Innovation-Proceedings of the International Conference on Concrete Construction, pp. 39–48. CRC Press, Netherlands (2009)Google Scholar
- Technical specification for strength composite piles (JGJ/T327-2014). China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing (2014)Google Scholar
- Zhao, X., Wu, M., Chen, S.W., Kong, D.D.: Study on bearing behaviors of single axially loaded SDCM pile. In: Deep Foundations and Geotechnical in Situ Testing, Proceedings of the 2010 GeoShanghai International Conference, Shanghai, pp. 277–284 (2010)Google Scholar