Numerical Characterization of Basalt Platform Slope Under Rainfall Condition
Basalt platform landslide triggered by rainfall is one of the most important landslides in China, which is highly dangerous. Based on the saturated-unsaturated seepage theory, this paper adopts finite element method to simulate the unsteady seepage of basalt platform slope under continuous rainfall, so as to analyze the distribution characteristics of seepage field inside the slope and the influence of matric suction on slope stability. The results show that: (1) Vertical infiltration is the main form for slope seepage filed above groundwater level and bedding flow is the main form below groundwater level; (2) Cracks are beneficial to rainfall infiltration and catchment areas are formed at the crack of the top; (3) Rainfall intensity and weak layer have an inverse relationship with the factor of safety of slope; (4) Matric suction has the effect to enhance slope stability.
KeywordsBasalt platform slope Rainfall infiltration Cracks Numerical simulation
This work is supported by National Key R&D Program of China (NO. 2017YFC0806004), Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NO. 41602287), Key Project of Natural Science Foundation of China (NO. 41731283) and National Natural Science Foundation of China (NO. 41372272).
- 2.Wu, J.J., Wang, C.H., Li, G.X.: Influence of matric suction in unsaturated soils on slope stability. Rock Soil Mech. 25(5), 732–736 (2004). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 3.Anderson, M.G., Richards, K.S. (eds.): Slope Stability: Geotechnical Engineering and Geomorphology. Wiley, Chichester (1987). 620 ppGoogle Scholar
- 4.Huang, R.Q., Qi, G.Q.: The effect of unsaturated soil suction on slope stability. J. Eng. Geol. 10(4), 343–348 (2002). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, R., Zhang, G., Zhang, J.M.: Centrifuge modeling of rainfall-induced deformation of slopes with weak layers. Chin. J. Geotech. Eng. 32(10), 1582–1587 (2010). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 7.Chen, T.L., Deng, G., Chen, S.S., et al.: Effects of fissures on stability of unsaturated soil slope. Chin. J. Geotech. Eng. 02, 210–215 (2006). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 8.Chen, S.X., Dai, Z.J., Lu, D.J., et al.: Stability analysis considering fracture distribution and strength for expansive soil slope. J. Hydraul. Eng. 45(12), 1442–1449 (2014). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 9.Tang, X.M., You, S.Y., Shang, Y.Q.: Geomorphic features of basalt platform and geological disaster in Zhejiang Province. J. Zhejiang Univ. Nat. Sci. 36(2), 231–235 (2009). (in Chinese)Google Scholar