The Rise of China’s Economy and Its Impact on the Ethnic Chinese Business Community: The Case of Cherry Automobile in Malaysia
This chapter examines the internationalization of Chinese multinational corporations (MNCs) and interactions with the government, local ethnic Chinese partners, and suppliers in Malaysia as the economies of Malaysia and China become increasingly integrated through trade and investment linkages. By studying China’s Chery Automobile in Malaysia, the research found that the local ethnic Chinese community has benefited somewhat from business engagement with China’s MNCs and politically dominated government-linked companies (GLCs) in Southeast Asia by playing an intermediary role. The impact of increasing flow of Chinese capital into Malaysia offers some benefit to local ethnic Chinese businesses, but it has not fundamentally changed for the better the tense relations with the politically dominant ethnic group nor the overall business environment.
KeywordsEthnic Chinese business Malaysia MNCs GLCs
- ACFTA. 2010. “ASEAN-China Free Trade Agreement.” The ASEAN Secretariat. Accessed June 2017. http://asean.org/?static_post=asean-china-free-trade-area-2.
- Automobile Industry Association of Malaysia. 2014. “National Automotive Policy 2014.” Accessed December 2015. http://www.maa.org.my/pdf/NAP_2014_policy.pdf.
- Bank Negara Malaysia. 2014. “Bank Negara Malaysia and People’s Bank of China Signs Memorandum of Understanding on Renminbi Clearing Arrangements in Malaysia.” November 10. Accessed December 2017. http://www.bnm.gov.my/index.php?ch=en_press&pg=en_press&ac=1419&lang=en.
- Chee, Peng Lim. 1985. “The Proton Saga-No Reverse Gear: The Economic Burden of Malaysia’s Car Project.” In The Sun Also Sets: Lessons in Looking East, edited by Kwame Jomo. Kuala Lumpur: Nadi Insan.Google Scholar
- Cheong Cheok, Kee, Li Ran, Tan Chye Eu, Zhang Miao, et al. 2014. “China’s State Enterprises, Economic Growth and Distribution: A Revisionist View.” China: An International Journal 12, no. 1: 132–152.Google Scholar
- Chery Official Website. 2016. “The Introduction of Chery Automotive Company Limited.” Accessed December 2016. http://www.cheryinternational.com/corporate-overview.html.
- China Global Investment Tracker. 2014. “Online Database.” Accessed December 2016. http://www.aei.org/china-global-investment-tracker/.
- Comtrade. 2014. “The United Nations Comtrade Database.” Accessed January 2017. https://comtrade.un.org/.
- Doner, R. Richard. 1991. Driving a Bargain: Automobile Industrialization and Japanese Firms in Southeast Asia. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Folker, Froebel, Juergen Heinrichs, and Otto Kreye. 1982. The New International Division of Labor: Structural Unemployment in Industrialized Countries and Industrialization in Developing Countries. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Gomez, Terence, and Michael Hsin Huang Hsiao. 2004. Chinese Enterprise, Transnationalism and Identity. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Hymer, Stephen. 1975. “The Multinational Corporation and the Law of Uneven Development.” In International Firms and Modern Imperialism: Selected Readings, edited by Hugo Radice. Harmondsworth: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Jiang, Zemin. 2002. “Jiang Zemin’s Report at 16th Party Congress.” Accessed July 2015. http://www.china.org.cn/english/features/49007.htm.
- Lim, Guanie. 2015. “China’s Investments in Malaysia: Choosing the ‘Right’ Partners.” International Journal of China Studies 6, no. 1: 1–30.Google Scholar
- Malaysia Investment Development Authority. 2015. “Malaysia Investment Performance Report: Driving Sustainable Growth.” Accessed December 2017. http://www.mida.gov.my/home/administrator/system_files/modules/photo/uploads/20160301100315_MIPR2015-2.pdf.
- Michel, Serge, and Michel Beuret. 2009. China Safari: On the Trail of Beijing’s Expansion in Africa. New York: Nation Books.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 2008. “The Ambassador of China, P. R.C. in Malaysia Attended the Joint Venture Agreement Signing Ceremony Between Chery and Alado.” Accessed December 2017. http://www.mfa.gov.cn/chn//pds/gjhdq/gjhdqzz/lhg_14/zwbd/t438341.htm.
- Ng, Paul. 2012. “Chery to World: ‘Here for the Long Term’.” Interviewed by The Business Station, July 20. Accessed July 2016. http://www.bfm.my/chery-paul-ng.html.
- Statista.com. 2016. “Car Sales in China (Passenger and Commercial) from 2008 to 2016.” Accessed December 2016. https://www.statista.com/statistics/233743/vehicle-sales-in-china/.