Effective Private Financing Approaches and Equity Financial Instruments for Low-Carbon Energy Investment: ADB Experiences
Public sector will need to leverage private capital for meeting the financing needs of low-carbon energy transformation under the Paris Agreement. This chapter examines the approaches and financial instruments that Asian Development Bank (ADB) applies to leverage private finance for clean energy investment. This chapter analyzes the effectiveness of each approaches/financial instruments. The chapter highlights some initial experience and draws recommendations for public sector to better mobilize private capital.
KeywordsClimate finance Clean energy investment Private finance Public financial instruments
- ADB. 2012. Report and Recommendation of the President to the Board of Directors for Proposed Equity Investment Climate Public–Private Partnership Fund, 2012 January. Available at https://www.adb.org/projects/documents/climate-public-private-partnership-fund.
- ADB. 2013. Report and Recommendation of the President to the Board of Directors: Proposed Multitranche Financing Facility to India for the Accelerating Infrastructure Investment Facility in India. Manila.Google Scholar
- ADB. 2014. Midterm Review of Strategy 2020: Meeting the Challenges of a Transforming Asia and the Pacific, April 2014. https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/institutional-document/34149/files/midterm-review-strategy-2020-r-paper.pdf.
- ADB. 2016a. The Asian Development Bank and the Climate Investment Funds: Developing a Private Sector Portfolio. Asian Development Bank, 2016 January, available at: http://www.adb.org/publications/corrigenda.
- ADB. 2016b. India: Rajasthan Renewable Energy Transmission Investment Program (Tranche 2), 2016 November. https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/project-document/215376/45224-004-pfrr.pdf.
- ADB. 2016c. Report and Recommendation of the President to the Board of Directors for Proposed Loan Stumpf Energy Solutions (Thailand) and Stumpf Energy Tranche B, 2016 August, available at https://www.adb.org/projects/documents/tha-distributed-commercial-solar-power-projectrrp.
- ADB. 2016d. Report and Recommendation of the President to the Board of Directors: Proposed Loan People’s Republic of China: Shaanxi Accelerated Energy Efficiency and Environment Improvement Financing Project, 2016 November, available at https://www.adb.org/projects/documents/prc-shaanxi-accelerated-ee-and-environment-improvement-rrp.
- ADB. 2016e. Report and Recommendation of the President to the Board of Directors: Proposed Loan People’s Republic of China: Air Quality Improvement in the Greater Beijing–Tianjin–Hebei Region—China National Investment and Guaranty Corporation’s Green Financing Platform Project, 2016 December, available at: https://www.adb.org/projects/documents/prc-air-quality-improvement-greater-beijing-tianjin-hebei-cnigc-green-financing-rrp.
- ADB. 2016f. Report and Recommendation of the President to the Board of Directors for Proposed Loan and Administration of Loans PT. Supreme Energy Muara Laboh Muara Laboh Geothermal Power Project (Indonesia). Available at https://www.adb.org/projects/documents/ino-muara-laboh-geothermal-power-project-rrp.
- ADB. 2017a. ADB Green Bonds Newsletter and Impact Report 2016, 2017 April available at https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/publication/297141/td-adb-green-bonds-2017-web-18-july-2017.pdf.
- ADB. 2017b. Annual Report 2016 for Clean Energy Financing Partnership Facility, Asian Development Bank.Google Scholar
- ADB. 2017c. Meeting Asia Infrastructure Need, Asian Development Bank, February 2017, available at https://www.adb.org/publications/asia-infrastructure-needs.
- ADB. 2017d. Asian Development Bank Annual Report 2016, Asian Development Bank, April 2017, available at https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/institutional-document/237881/adb-annual-report-2016.pdf.
- ADB. 2017e. Development Effectiveness Report 2016 for Private Sector Operations, Asian Development Bank, May 2017 at https://www.adb.org/documents/defr-2016-private-sector-operations.
- ADB. 2017f. Climate Finance, https://www.adb.org/climate-change-financing.
- ADB. 2017g. Non-sovereign Operation Financial Products, https://www.adb.org/site/private-sector-financing/financial-products.
- ADB. 2017h. Funds and Resources, https://www.adb.org/site/funds/funds.
- ADB. 2017i. Clean Energy Funds and Facility, https://www.adb.org/sectors/energy/programs-funds-initiatives.
- ADB. 2017j. Private Sector Operations: Case Study 2016, Asian Development Bank, https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/publication/82403/adb-psod-brochure-insert.pdf.
- Bhattacharya, A., Oppenheim, J. and Stern, N. 2015. Driving Sustainable Development Through Better Infrastructure: Key Elements of a Transformation Program. Brookings Global Working Paper Series.Google Scholar
- Climate Bonds Initiative and HSBC. 2016. Bonds and Climate Change: The State of the Market, Climate Bonds Initiative, 2016, July, https://www.climatebonds.net/files/files/CBI%20State%20of%20the%20Market%202016%20A4.pdf.
- CPI. 2013. The Role of Development Finance Institutions and Development Banks in Scaling Up Green and Climate Investments. Climate Policy Initiative, San Francisco. Available at: http://climatepolicyinitiative.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/CPI-Brief-for-DFI-DB-meeting.pdf.
- IEA. 2015. World Outlook Energy 2015, OECD/IEA, 2015, www.iea.org.
- IMF. 2015. Getting Energy Prices Right, Climate Change Information, IMF, November 2015 www.imf.org/environment.
- Micale, et al. 2012. Risk Gaps: Policy Risk Instruments, Climate Policy Initiative, climatepolicyinitiative.org.
- Micale, Valerio, et al. 2013. Risk Gaps: Policy Risk Instruments, Climate Policy Initiative, January 2013, climatepolicyinitiative.org.
- Sustainable Energy4All. 2015. Sustainable Energy4All Advisory Board’s Finance Committee Report on Scaling Up Finance for Sustainable Energy Investments, Sustainable Energy for All.Google Scholar
- Venugopal, S., Srivastava, A., Polycarp, C., and E. Taylor. 2012. Public Financing Instruments to Leverage Private Capital for Climate-Relevant Investment: Focus on Multilateral Agencies. Working Paper. World Resources Institute, Washington, DC. Available online at http://www.wri.org/project/climate-finance-private-sector.