The Influence of Water Quality Index (WQI) Assessment Towards Water Sports Activity at Taman Tasik Titiwangsa, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Taman Tasik Titiwangsa lakes are popular for water sport activity. Thus, it is important to keep the health of the lakes at an acceptable level for the optimum usage of water sport activity. The water quality index is used to assess the water quality condition of the lakes. Water quality index (WQI) and interim national water quality standards (INWQS) for Malaysia are used to monitor the health of the lakes. A total of two sample stations were collected at Lake 1 and Lake 2 of Taman Tasik Titiwangsa. Six selected parameters (biological oxygen demand, chemical oxygen demand, dissolved oxygen, pH, suspended solid and ammoniacal nitrogen) were used to calculate the water quality index. From the analysis, it showed that both Lake 1 and Lake 2 are Class II condition and visitors can use it for water sport activity. Several recommendations are noted to improve the WQI value for the use of Taman Tasik Titiwangsa visitors especially for water sport activity.
KeywordsWater quality index (WQI) Taman tasik titiwangsa Water sport activity Mining area
- Attraction Malaysia. (2015). Taman Tasik Titiwangsa. Retrieved http://kuala-lumpur.attractionsinmalaysia.com/Titwangsa-Lake-Gardens.php.
- Ayeghi, A. N. U. (2014). The Impacts of Physical Features on User Attachment to Kuala Lumpur City Centre (KLCC) Park, Malaysia. Malaysian Journal of Society and Space, 44-54.Google Scholar
- Breen, B., Curtis, J and Hynes, S. (2017). Recreational use of Public Waterways and the impact of water quality. ESRI Working Paper No. 552.Google Scholar
- Malek, N. A. (2004). Assessment of satisfactions, preferences, need and use patterns in quality neighbourhood park. Malaysia.Google Scholar
- Rung, A. L. (2005). The significance of parks to physical activity and public health. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 159–168.Google Scholar
- Sharifudin, M. Z. (2014, July 26). Water sport activity at Taman Tasik Titwangsa. Retrieved http://ww1.utusan.com.my/utusan/Keluarga/20140726/ke_02/Riadah-di-Taman-Tasik-Titiwangsa.
- Simeonov, V., Einax, J. W., Stanimirova, I., Kraft, J. (2002). Environmetric modeling and interpretation of river water monitoring data. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 374(5), 898-905.Google Scholar