Sustainable Houses in Japan: An Overview
This chapter focuses on the sustainable housing in the tropical region of Japan.
It starts with the history of sustainable housing in Japan, followed by the specific look into techniques found in traditional housing in the tropical region of Japan where the climate is hot-humid and their adaptation to modern sustainable housing.
KeywordsJapanese House Tropical region Hot-humid climate Energy-saving CO2 emission
This article is based on the survey documents of sustainable housings in Japan according to architectural magazines and the actual investigation of Japanese sustainable housings, built since 1970 to the present, by the author .
- 1.Nakamura M, Iwamura K (2006) Outcomes of post-design on environmentally symbiotic Housing – case analysis on recent environmentally symbiotic multiple dwelling houses in Japan. J Archit Plann AIJ 610:1–8Google Scholar
- 2.Definition of Environmentally Symbiotic Housing (as of 2005) Environmentally Symbiotic Housing Promotion Council. http://www.kkj.or.jp/contents/intro_sh/index.html
- 3.Tools for housing scale, CASBEE Family and tools, Comprehensive Assessment System for Built Environment Efficiency, Institute for Building Environment and Energy Conservation (IBEC) (since 2007) http://www.ibec.or.jp/CASBEE/english/index.htm
- 4.Guidline forThe Housings of Design Method for Low Energy Housing (since 2005) Institute for Building Environment and Energy Conservation. http://www.jjj-design.org/design/index.html
- 5.Consumer Confidence Survey (conducted on March 24th, 2012) The Cabinet office, Japan. http://www.esri.cao.go.jp/en/stat/shouhi/shouhi-e.html
- 6.LCCM (Life Cycle Carbon Minus) Houses as advanced energy-efficient housing for a low-carbon society. Building Research Institute, Japan. http://www.kenken.go.jp/english/contents/lccm/index.html
- 7.Eco Housing Model Project, Ministry of Environment. http://www.env.go.jp/policy/ecohouse
- 8.Agency for Natural resources and Energy. http://www.enecho.meti.go.jp/category/saving_and_new/saving/zeh/
- 9.Regional classification by Energy-saving region references, attached table (2013) Manual of criterion by client and design and construction guidelinesGoogle Scholar