Research on Tram Detector Location Based on Vehicle–Infrastructure Communication
Modern tram vehicle infrastructure system mainly relies on tram detectors to communicate with the trams, providing the basis for optimal control of the tram operation. This paper presents a calculation method to find the optimal locations of announcement detectors and request detectors based on characteristics such as system operation instructions, tram speed, signal priority strategy and manual operation habits. The critical location for detectors is proposed considering the intersecting-road hierarchy and the signal priority parameters. A sample model application and simulation experiments on a real-life intersection are included. Compared with the tram delay of different request detector locations, the outcome indicates that the most effective tram priority is determined when the detectors are placed according to the method proposed in this paper.
KeywordsTram detector location Vehicle–infrastructure communication Tram signal priority VISSIM
This work is supported by the National Key R&D Program of China (2016YFB1200402) and Research Program of Shanghai Science and Technology Committee (16511104902).
- 1.Luo M, He W, Chen Y, et al (2016) Research on control strategies of modern streetcar at intersection under semi-independent way condition. In: Vehicle power and propulsion conference (VPPC), 2016 IEEE. IEEE, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- 2.Sun Z, Dai L, He G (2015) Signal priority control methods of modern tram at intersections. In: ICTE 2015, pp 520–527Google Scholar
- 4.Sermpis D, Papadakos P, Fousekis K (2012) Tram priority at signal-controlled junctions. In: Proceedings of the institution of civil engineers-transport. Thomas Telford Ltd., vol 165, No 2, pp 87–96Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou Y, Jia S, Zhang S, et al (2016) Study on detecting location for bus rapid transit with signal priority. In: International conference on computer and information technology applicationsGoogle Scholar
- 6.Yan F, Li K, Sun J (2009) Detector location for transit signal priority at intersection with countdown signals. J Transp Inf Saf 06:79–83 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 7.Chen F, Tan X (2016) Research on the crossing priority parameters of modern trams. J Railway Eng Soc 33(8):116–120 (in Chinese)Google Scholar